Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

Purple Tahitian Castor Bean

arctictropical
15 years ago

Has anyone grown the variety of castor bean in the picture below? I received some complimentary seed from a local nurseryman who collects and grows rare plants, but have never seen it before until I planted these. I planted them late, so they are only about six feet tall but are growing very fast. Just wanted to know how tall they may get. I really like the leaf color....no hint of green.

{{gwi:1303060}}

Comments (13)

• planterjake
    15 years ago

I don't think I have that type of purple Castor however, I do have some type of purple Castor. I collected the seed from a park last November in Kentucky. It was just randomly growing there are last close through a few light frost and one heavy frost.

I planted mine in July and I'm not watering like I should so its growing slow. Its leaves started out green but the new leaves are now coming out purple.

Jake

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    15 years ago

Hi Kevin,
    That castor bean is gorgeous! I have never seen it before but I love the coloring, does it have seed pods on it yet? I am growing the Carmecita castor bean and right now it has lots of really cool looking, bright red seed pods on it. Or did you cut them off? I know they are poisonous.

The cannas you gave me are doing great! I really love that banana canna. I'll bet your yard looks really great right now with all the cannas in full bloom. Next time I'm up there I will have to drive by and see it.

Linda

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jake, could you post some pictures of your castor bean plants?

Hi Linda! I'm glad your cannas are doing well. Yes, everything is in full bloom right now (cannas and hibiscus) and the the palms and bananas are doing great. In fact, I have an ensete banana that is probably 9-10 feet tall. My purple castor beans are just blooming now, so I'm not sure they will produce seed. I hope we have an Indian summer!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    15 years ago

Hi Kevin, Yeah I'm hoping for an Indian summer as well. I still have a lot of dahlias that haven't bloomed yet because they got planted so late. I just went outside to inspect the damage from the storm and my poor castor beans were practically laying on the ground, they weren't broken so I did stake them back up. They are about six feet tall now with sturdy stems but I guess the strong winds were too much! Also had a lot of potted palms and other plants blown over. Seemed like we had a hurricane of our own last night and early this morning! I hoping for a nice long warm fall for sure!
    Linda

• planterjake
    15 years ago

Yeah, I will post some pictures soon. It is only about one to two feet tall since I planted them in like July.

Jake

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jake. I look forward to seeing them.

Linda, I'm sorry you had such a wind storm. We had it too, but maybe not as strong as you had. It's just wonderful that we got some rain. Long overdue! I've taken lots of pictures and will post them soon.

• User
    15 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous plant. A plant to match it would be a red hibiscus. Small of course, compared to the castor bean. But the plant color is the same.

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    15 years ago

wow- I am impressed!

Very nice coloring.

You did a great job for being in Utah-

more photos!

Boca Joe

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Boca Joe! I will post more and better pictures next week. The palms and bananas have done great this year. The windmill palm is up to 10 feet high, as well as an ensete banana that has grown like a weed. Many of my hardy hibiscus are seven feet high as well. I believe good fertilizer is the reason.

• flora2
    14 years ago

Hi
    I love Castor beans although I have a hard time finding them at local nurseries. Do you have a picture of this one? It says it is not available. Thanks a lot

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi flora2! I'm not sure why they deleted the picture. Here it is again.
    {{gwi:537342}}

• flora2
    14 years ago

Hi: Thanks for the picture. They are beautiful--and so dark!. I love, love castor beans. Do you ever get seeds? The reason I am asking is that mine do not "ripen" and what I get inside the seedpods is some little black seeds--that are not "real seeds". I have been told that it is because of the "not so hot days" here in the Seattle area. I am so impressed with your plants!

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi flora2. Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been too busy in the yard to read the garden posts! In my climate, no, the seeds don't ripen either. I get my seed from Valley Nursery, in Uintah, Utah, about 1 hour south of my place, in a climate or two warmer than where I live, where the seeds ripen.

Kevin

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths