Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randit_gw

Will Rajapuri banana fruit in Las Cruces, NM?

randit
19 years ago

I have just potted up a pup from our large mat of Rajapuri, and am contemplating taking it to NM. Is there any chance that this tough banana will fruit in the Las Cruces area?

Comments (13)

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Its very doubtful without some substantial protection..but raja being a semi-dwarf you ought to be able to protect it in that climate.

• randit
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks...Wilmington Islander.. I was hoping to find a banana that would possibly fruit without any protection. Las Cruces does not suffer unduly cold winters...although last winter, I guess??, was pretty cold. Rajapuri has stood up very well through one 11 degree winter that we had recently in coastal Ga...'Course it did NOT fruit. I also like Rajapuri for its wind tolerance (substantial leaves)...which, I guess??? is a concern in "lower NM"?? Any other possible vars???

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

When, oh when did it get to 11 in coastal Georgia? I know of the freak freezes in the 80's when the SAV airport hit 3 ( Tybee was at 11) and another freeze when it hit 11 or 12 in Sav...but recently? Anyway, your best bet for a fruiting cultivar, without a doubt, is going to be dwarf orinoco.

• randit
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks...for the comment on banana vars...I will try to find a Dwarf Orinoco. I got most of our bananas from a place in south Florida a few years ago....other than "unknowns" that have been kindly given to me. Do you have a favorite "banana source"?,..one that is apt to have correctly labelled cultivars?

As for winter temps....Our Min-Max(s) in garden and barn recorded these ultra low temps...only once...in the winter of '02/'03. I don't think the xtra cold reading lasted very long...but it sure whacked our established, trunked, Philodendrons almost to the ground..and our Canary Island date palm had a lot to "burn" to the outside of its fronds. Everything recovered just fine...another indication that this "low" was fast and fleeting. We usually get a couple nights of 18 to 20 degrees every late winter.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Where in coastal Georgia are you? I have a friend with, literally , a field of the D. O's in his backyard on Wilmington Island...would be nothing to send you to NM with one? You must be west of 1-95, huh? It does get considerably colder there...the last 3 years here my low temps have been 2002: 23 degrees 2003: 19 degrees ( lowest here in 7 years) and 2004 26 degrees.

• randit
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Does your friend with "the field of the D.O's" actually have fruiting on these bananas??? Any fruiting without protection? Sounds like they have been on his place for many years? Yes...we are west of 95. We are northwest of Brunswick.. inland far enough, that we don't get a micro-clime effect from the water (coastal swamps, ocean). Not too many more miles west of us, it gets considerably colder in the winter.... being about 40 miles from the coastline, does appear to give us a little protection.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Yes, some have fruit. And no protection. Hell, the DO seems to almost need to be neglected to do its best! Again, you would be welcome to some prior to moving. Yes, it does get colder the further inland you go, doesn't it?

• randit
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Would looove to have a start of the Dwarf Orinoco...

Where in the world is Wilmington Island?....I is a "Yank".

Could I swap you some kind of plant, for a D.O start?....Thanks again for the offer.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Wilmington Island is an island about 10 miles SE of Savannah, Georgia..no beach, but we do have frontage on Wassaw Sound ( Atlantic Ocean). It is basically an 8 square mile island that is almost entirely residential..would love to hear what you have for swapping! But I probably don't have room :(

• randit
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wilmington Islander....would you still like to swap a plant? How did your garden,etc fare through Frances and Jeanne? Please tell me something about plants you would like to find...I have a potted start of a nice purplish-red(bloom color) ginger, and a meager potted start of the veeeery tall-blooming Crinum 'Emma Jones'. Could dig you a start of Crinum 'Stars and Stripes'. Also have a very nice clone of an Alocaisa ("upright Elephant Ear"). Also have a BIG local clone of a pass-along Elephant ear..have not a clue as to the origin of this plant. Are any of these of interest to Wilmington Islander?

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

No...they sound lovely...but thank you anyway. You are still welcome to a Dwarf Orinoco, though!

• randit
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Anything else...?? That you are looking for? I feel bad, if I ask for a start of the Dwarf Orinoco..and can't offer a plant in return for your kindness........

I also have a pretty ground cover (shade) about one foot high..blooms very late, with pretty tubular "gesneriad-looking" red flowers, attractive foliage. I bought this plant in Fernandina, assuming that it would not be hardy here...but it has managed to return each season (haven't a clue as to it's name). I would like to Swap..this would make me feel less "greedy".

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Giving is its own reward. Give me some lee time and let me know when you are in Savannah and you will be welcome to it. Don't worry about it, OK?