Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Castor Beans not growing huge like pics I've seen

Posted by joefalco z8 MB SC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 18:31

For some reason my Castor Beans that are Zanzbar (seeds purchased from Ebay seller) I only have 3 that survived the lawn mower and the biggest is about 3 feet tall. One is Puny and sickly looking.

The Pics I see on the Internet are of Giant multibranched plants.

I have them in full sun and our soil is sandy, Any suggestions..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Castor Beans not growing huge like pics I've seen

I have the SAME exact problem. I also have sandy soil. I put my seeds in back around the end of May and they still are stuck @ about 4 feet with some decent size leaves, but nothing huge. I got my seeds from Gurneys and i think the package said they were from Holland or something like that. I'm about ready to demand my money back! I think i might go chop them and try again next year. Thankfully i've got my bananas that have done good and actually grow. Its been very hot and sunny this summer, so there isn't any reason for them not to grow.

o

I cut mine down today. Figure i'll get a head start for fall. I'm going to try again next year, but i think i'll get different seeds. For some reason my leaves were a dark green and not a purple like my neighbors?

o

Maybe get some seeds from your neighbor if they grow good and are healthy.

i am still hoping to get some good ones going.

o

• Posted by njoynit Z8b Coastal ~seclude (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 15:08

They like rich soil.mine get huge topping the house.I have a pair of green ones growing in old compost pile in dog kennel.They are already 15 feet plus& If I was better about watering them...would be large like some of the other years. My ones from 2 yrs ago...the seeds blew everywhere from hurrican rita...Still come up too.I know that area is sandy to about 3 ft.

poor soil = shorter plants
rich soil= tall huge plants

also mulch them.yes they do branch out.mine seem to branch out around 3-4 feet.I got red& carmencita which is green with pink veins but the younger foiage is bronzeish cast till older then is green,but is neat.The hummers love them.

The year Ivan came to water...sept.It blew my plants down& they had some uprooting.we're 7 ft when that happened.I transplanted them,cut the tip of stalk when it got ratty& they still grew to 15 ft,but we're shaded lower 3 ft

Their is a short version out called impala..suppose to stay under 3 ft.I've never found seed...but know its there.I grew one that was from a large seed(it was size of runner bean)I can't find it either.It use to be the one that would return from root.I lost it when moved pond.

o

I agree about the rich soil. I dug holes and put in straight kitchen scraps, etc. without even composting first. Then filled in just a little soil and planted the seeds. They grew HUGE. This was many years ago but they were 15 ft tall at least before a hard freeze got 'em. Also, we have heavy clay soil, that may have helped.

o

• Posted by ekoboat z6b MO Sunset z35 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 7, 07 at 14:25

Last year I had 3 of the common castor bean that got over 13ft. They had lots of water and I kept the seed heads pruned off. This year I chose a different location, less water and have been letting the plant produce seed. They have only grown 8 or 9 feet this year.

o

Lot's of sun, rich, loose, soil heavy on the compost, plenty of water and mulch well with organic matter such as leaves, hay, kitchen scraps, etc. Last but not least. Keep the flowers picked off for the tallest plants. Mine regularily get to 25' this way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here