Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical plant - need help!

Posted by annielizs 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 19:38

I am assuming that this plant is tropical just by looking, but I don't know what it's called. Anyhow, I was told that the flower would brown and I would need to cut it off, and then it would re-bloom in 6-8 months. But now the leaves are turning brown as well. It's hot where I am, 100 degrees most days, but the plant doesn't get a whole lot of direct sunlight where it sits on my patio.
Any advice on keeping this plant alive and healthy would be much appreciated. If anyone could tell me what it's called that would be cool also! =)
Pics:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/232/dscn0980.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/dscn0979v.jpg/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical plant - need help!

The plant is a Bromiliad. The bloom is actually leaves, which will dry up and the whole main plant will die. Cut it off at the base and leave it only slightly moist - it will send up baby plants from the roots and they will bloom when they are big enough.

Once this particular tropical plant is done blooming, it will not bloom again. The 'pups' will, however, bloom, but only once.

Do a google.com search for Bromiliads to read about their cultural needs.

o
RE: Tropical plant - need help!

Great! Thanks so much Kay! =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here