Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

August plant pics

JohnnieB
14 years ago

Here are photos of individual plants around my gardens (mostly taken after a heavy but all-too-brief rain this evening). Some of these are not tropical or even subtropical, but fit well into a "tropicalesque" garden scheme. (Note: all these photos look better at full size; to view click on the photo to go to my Flickr album, and then click on "all sizes".)

Starting with the common tropical Hibiscus, an unknown red cultivar:

Another common plant but one that was practically unknown 10 years ago, one of the many Angelonia hybrids--a great performer in heat and full sun:

Cleome popping up from seed in various colors:

Oddly enough I have not seen a single harlequin bug this year; in previous years they have decimated my cleome by mid-July, to the point that I have to pull them out. I don't think I've ever had cleome blooming and looking good this late in the summer.

I especially like the pink ones: the flowers open deep pink but by the next day are pale pink, usually with 2 different colors of flowers open at any one time:

Chelone lyonii 'Hot Lips', just starting to bloom. A good source of late summer color and with good, glossy foliage that holds up well all summer:

This spring I was feeling a bit nostalgic for some plants I hadn't grown in a while so I dug out some seeds that I'd had in the fridge for several years--I saved seeds from Ceratotheca triloba (African sesame relative, Pedaliaceae) in 2001 and got about 110% germination:

Finally a few gesneriads; first, Seemannia (formerly Gloxinia) nematanthodes 'Evita' that I picked up at Plant Delights Nursery two years ago:

Closer view of the flowers:

Tony Avent claims this species is perfectly hardy for him, but neither this selection nor previous ones I've grown have ever survived a winter in my garden. Drainage is probably key.

Here is a link that might be useful: More photos

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz