Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dpolson37

Tropical backyard - plumeria, banana, cannas et al

dpolson37
15 years ago

Wanted to share some of my efforts for the summer of 2008.

The first photo shows the pathway leading to the pool.

{{gwi:1303095}}

The second photo shows the living wall of tropicals that were planted around the pool to give some privacy.

{{gwi:1303096}}

Hard to believe that a few months from now all this will be at ground level. I plan to pile leaves around the bananas this year so I get a head start next spring. Last year I covered the bananas about a foot and a half with leaves and that kept them from dying all the way to the ground. Sure made for tall trees this summer. They are about 9 feet now.

Hope everyone else has had a good growing season. Lets see some other gardens.

Comments (15)

• nightrider767
    15 years ago

Very well done. And like you said, it'll be a real shame to see that garden die back for the winter...

Don't forget to save your canna seed, if you'd like more of those. And speaking of canna,,, do you have to dig those up at the end of the year?

• dpolson37
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been harvesting seeds for weeks now and have quite a few for next year. This is the first year with these cannas and I'm planning to dig them up because I love them so much and would hate to loose them. I also want to prep the bed and if they stayed in the ground it would be pretty difficult. I have kept other cannas and ginger in the ground covered with about a foot of leaves and they came back fine. I'll see how much time I have come fall and may end up leaving some in the ground.

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

Good stuff

Enjoyed the pictures

• ryanarun07282008
    15 years ago

I love it! So tropical!

Hello! I am pretty new in gardening and of course this site. I am happy to say that I'm glad to be a member! I have most of these plants around my pool as well, but not as beautiful and developed as yours!

Here are my problems and hope you guys can help me out:

My cannas, elephant ears, and dahlias have not sprouted. I planted the canna rhizomes around mid February! Does anyone have any idea as to when I should expect these guys to sprout out??? How about the elephant ears and dahlias? My co-worker said it took her elephant ears atleast 6 weeks!

I can't wait any longer! The wind has been blowing dirt and old leaves into my pool (no I don't have a pool cover thanks to my hubby). My poor pool cleaner guy has been vacuuming the pool weekly. I want to lay landscaping fabrics and river rocks, but it's going to be a pain in the neck because these guys have not sprouted! I would love to get it done asap before that Texas heat wave comes! Yes, I know, I should have laid them before I started planting. Like I said I'm a newbie:(. Does anyone have any suggestions, atleast suggestions that won't involve back-breaking???

My other problem is my plumerias. I bought these at one of the home centers last spring. They are doing well, but never have any flowers. They were brought indoors for the winter. They are just big single stalks right now. Will they ever flower?? Besides fertilization, do I need to do anything to get them started? Please help...

Thanks

Serey

• dobie1029
    15 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the plant in the first picture to the bottom left corner in the pot is called?

Thanks!
    Jennie E

• don_brown
    15 years ago

Great yard! Well done!

Dobie, I believe that the plant about which you are asking is a Plumeria, which, at the time of the photo, was not in bloom.

I'd love to post the odd photo of mine in here, but damned if I can figure out how to do it!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

Oustanding! Wish we had a pool!

• pondmaster101
    15 years ago

AMAZING elephant ears!

• JohnnieB
    15 years ago

Pools and tropicals go together. You've done a really nice job and it must be a pleasure to hang out there on a hot summer day!

• astrl
    15 years ago

What variety of ginger is that? Most of the ones I have found prefer shade, but that looks like a sunny location.

• JohnnieB
    15 years ago

I believe those are cannas rather than gingers, and cannas LOVE the sun.

• ccckoball
    14 years ago

are you SUre youre in zone 7a???
    AMAZING!!!

• dpolson37
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As far as I know I'm a 7a. The zipcode here is 22308. I live near the Potomac river which keeps it a bit warmer than surrounding areas. Thanks for all the compliments. Cannas and bananas are growing strong already. The yard is a little smelly due to Milorganite fertilizer, but it's worth it when the cannas shoot up to 8 feet.Happy spring.

• flora2
    14 years ago

Hi
    Loved your pictures. What is the variety of elephant ears? They are beautiful and huge. I have never grown cannas from seed and I am tempted because this year I lost almost all the canna tubers I stored in the garage. I really need to get better at that. I am going to try to get some seeds on a trade or something to give them a try this year. How long does it take from seed to plant? Once again, your yard is beautiful and the little boy in the picture adorable. Thanks

• dpolson37
    Original Author
    14 years ago

flora2: Thanks for the compliments. The elephant ears are ones I purchased from Home Depot labeled as large. Nice description, huh? I've had good luck digging them in the fall and storing over winter. The clump you see is from one large elephant ear about the size of a large grapefruit. H.D. usually sells them in northern Virginia around February for about $5.
    As for the cannas, I see the seeds sprout in about a week. I believe they flower the first season too. I've just lost track once I planted them in with the others so I can't really say for sure, but once the warm weather hits they take off. Pretty sure they are the Robert Kemp variety.
    I had cooler than average spring/early summer and tropicals aren't as tall this year. I'll have to post some 2009 photos soon.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals