Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

Latest pic of 14' outdoor Trachy, zone 4

arctictropical
13 years ago

"Baby", my 14' outdoor Trachy that grows about a foot each year in zone 4, is doing well!

Comments (9)

• threas
    13 years ago

That's awesome, Kevin! Nice photo! Congratulations on your success!

Theresa

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Theresa! Do you grown any palms in PA? I have a son and his young family in Pittsburgh, going to school. It's a nice place. Are you in East or West PA? I love Long Wood Gardens, west of Philadelphia. It's my favorite Botanical Garden in the whole world!

• stgawne
    13 years ago

That is awesome I have some pics of my bananas that I'm growing in michigan zone 5-6. You should check out my tropical page on flickr. I live in zone 5-6 and tried tons of tropicals this year and will be trying to overwinter them different ways this year. http://www.flickr.com/groups/northerntropicalplants/ join the group and post pictures and messages

• threas
    13 years ago

Kevin, I live 15 min. from Philadelphia International Airport in the burbs. I am very familiar with Longwood Gardens! I'm about 45 minutes away.
    I have not tried to grow any palma yet. Hoping to do so soon. I love tropical look gardens. I planted Musa Basjoos this spring. Gonna keep my fingers crossed that they overwinter successfully. I'll post some pix of my little tropicalesque garden soon.

Theresa

• threas
    13 years ago

stgawne, love your little tropical paradise!!! It's amazing how it fills in, isn't it? Love the papyrus!
    Do you leave the banana inground in the front of the house?

Theresa

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's some different pics of the 3 outdoor palms, plus one of the banana garden:

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Your plants are looking beautiful as always!!! Whats the green variety of banana?
    Your yard is looks extremely nice and tropical! How much longer before the first frost in your area?
    Thanks for sharing!!!
    -Alex

• threas
    13 years ago

Kevin, your palms and other plants are beautiful. Love the mountains in the background. You have a lot of work ahead, getting ready for winter. I don't even know where to start! LOL How do you overwinter your cannas?

Theresa

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alex, I have about 4 different varieties of musa, in addition to the reddish colored ensete. I saw frost on the lawn and garden 3 different days the first part of September, but luckily it just touched the edges of my squash plants, canna and elephant ears. Now we are having record breaking heat, so I'm celebrating! Usually we have had a hard killing frost by now, but it looks like we will escape a September killing frost. It may happen the first week in October, but don't know yet. Theresa, your comment in correct. Lot's of work ahead. I have to dig every single canna and elephant ear. It takes a whole month of spare time to dig them and store them all.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations