Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any way to store croton for the winter in dark/cool basement?

Posted by glen3a Wpg MB 3A (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 15, 08 at 2:54

I understand Croton needs great light/humidity indoors. If I store it indoors as a houseplant, will it lose most of it's leaves adjusting to the poorer light and will it regrow them? When it goes outside next spring into the brighter light will it do the same thing once again?
Is there anyway to store the plant, say, in a dark and cool basement where it will basically do the same thing, lose it's leaves but survive dormant and resprout next spring?

I have a beautiful croton in a pot on the deck and am debating on if I should try to save it for next year, to use as a deck plant. The thing is, if it comes though winter but looks scraggly and doesn't quite recover to it's current glory, then it might not be worth the effort as I would probably just buy a new one to use next year. It's sort of a shame though.

Any advice is appreciated as we are getting closer to our first frost and I have to make a decision. I wouldn't mind saving all the plants that are outside, but can't because of limited indoor space.

Regards,

Glen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any way to store croton for the winter in dark/cool basement?

I don't think the basement will work.

If you have a really bright sunny window you might winter indoors in the window.

Depends on how humid you keep your home, I keep mine high in the winter. The house feels warmer and the plants stay happier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here