Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neighbor spraying Round-Up

Posted by learn z9 TX (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 07 at 2:59

I really need some advise. I live in the suburbs of Houston and have an elderly neighbor with too much time on his hands. My spouse and I get on well with all my neighbors except for him and we could write a book over his antics.
I have, or should say - HAD, gorgeous heliconia that were just starting to flower after being planted for 10+ years, that I highly suspect have been sprayed with a herbicide. These plants are on my side of a 6 ft cedar fence. I can see a mottled brown pattern on the leaves and they are wilting to the ground and there is another bunch 20 foot away that are still beautiful. I would not normally jump to the conclusion of mal-intent, but it is not the first time that my plants have been killed because he just "didn't like them" and has told me so.
I also need to mention that he has planted 2 stands of 20 foot bamboo on this same fence line, that runs under and into my garden. I constantly have to dig up my garden to keep it from taking over and will now need to have a satelite receiver moved because it is blocking the signal.
I'm also concerned because I have very small dogs, 4 and 6 pounds, and I have read that herbicides can cause seizures and even death - especially in very small dogs. This is their backyard and they should be able to go out to potty without worry of them being poisoned.
I'm out of patience and things like these are making gardening more of a sore subject than the sanctuary that I originally desired. This neighbor cannot be reasoned with, as we have tried numerous times.
I would really appreciate any advise on this matter.
Thanks - Lea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neighbor spraying Round-Up

I have an elderly neighbor that is to the back of me one house to my left who is a "chemical Ali" when it comes to his lawn and garden. He has a company come in and spray every kind of fertilizer, pesticide and herbicide that yellows all my banana plants for months and now two of my windmill palms facing in that direction have some yellowing fronds. I tend to have a tropicalesque theme to my garden that almost everyone loves in my neighborhood EXCEPT HIM. He even told me "that suff has no business growing here" and his wife told a neighbor that my house looks like a Mississippi trailer park. If I were more evil I'd dump round up on his property. Believe me I empathize with your situation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here