Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
musa basjoo Plant NOW ?

Posted by heygeno z5 oh (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 7:19

I just got a couple of 8" plants and am wondering if I should keep in pots and winter inside for now...or plant in the ground ?......anyone live in Columbus Ohio that I could talk with ?
Thanks, Geno

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: musa basjoo Plant NOW ?

keep inside. Your temps in ohio would turn a basjoo into popsicle in no time. plant in spring time.

o

I too would keep them inside until you can give them a good head start to grow deeply into the ground starting from the beginning of spring.

Also since you are going to keep them inside for the winter, give them lots of light and watch for spider mites. Spider mites eat these leaves like candy.

Keep a bottle of Kneem oil or some other horticultural oil and a magnifying glass at the ready . You can also use a natural soapy water.

Mike

o

Boy..... glad I asked ! Thanks, you guys.
Geno

o

I agree, keep it inside the first winter.
I think one of the biggest influences on hardiness is the mass of the corm / root ball.

The thicker it is, the harder it is for freezes to penetrate and damage the corm inside.
This is how it works with the stems- Last Spring I looked at a 7 inch thick stem and the outside 1-2 inches was frost damaged, but after I dug into the stem past that, the next layers were green and alive.

A small plant simply does not have the mass to protect itself, nor the stored energy in the corm to sustain it when there is no photosynthesis of food via leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here