Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy02256

newest pictures of my tropical pond gardens

sandy0225
18 years ago

I just took some new pictures of my tropical pond gardens with large banana trees, and a victoria water lily. If you'd like to see them, please click the link below. I think it looks pretty good for Indiana.....see what you think...thanks for looking...I even have a tiki hut...

They are in the August, September, October 2005 folder.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: tropical gardens and ponds

Comments (6)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

Sandy are you sure you live in Indiana? Maybe you just forgot moving to Hawaii! lol, the garden is great. I wish I had a pond that could look like that. You must cram things into the greenhouse over winter it looks like you have sooo many things that need to go in when it gets cold.
    You just had to have the victoria waterlily didn't you. -Oh sure, it's not hardy, grows huge, is painfully spiny, not so easy to get...... it's a must-have!

Great job! Have you been tempted by Brugmansia yet? They would go great with the bananas!

• sandy0225
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have some brugmansia, too. But I'm just not that impressed with them. You're right about the Victoria, I just had to have it, it's the perfect show off, no one else has it plant....Actually, I store most of my bananas dormant in the basement, so the greenhouse isn't totally stuffed with plants. If anyone wants info on that dormant storing, check the bananas forum, there's all kinds of info there.

Sandy

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

I'll probably be basement storing a few Basjoo shoots this winter. I think I have a basement I can use (my own was too cold the last two winters and too warm this year (finally having heat does that!). I was going to try overwintering outdoors but I can't give up the height I have... I'm way too greedy!
    My brugmansias were lost two winters ago (re: lack of heat comment), I'm going to try and get back a few cuttings this fall so I have something come springtime. I've had great luck with them, a nice six foot tall umbrella of blooms. Very cool, and that was on my apartment balcony so it was a little unusal.

Now about that pond.... I'm not sure how I'm going to work that in.

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

Sandy, I admire you greatly. You have done a wonderful job. I can't do that in zone 7.
    I have been wanting to order a Victoria lily for years.
    I just didn't think it would be possible to get it to grow from seed and live thru the winter.
    How long did it take for yours to bloom?
    What do you do in the winter?
    What size is your greenhouse and how warm do you kept it in the winter?
    And you donated a Victoria to the conservatory. That is wonderful.
    Please email me the details. Thanks, Cat

• backyardmon
    14 years ago

where did you find the tiki hut up there? i had one installed in florida by gilligans it turned out great. they are going to be putting it on there site next month.
    check it out. here is there link.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.tikihuts.net

• pondmaster101
    14 years ago

This is so late.. but just beautiful!

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz