Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grocery store taro

Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 24, 06 at 10:12

This was sold as "pink malanga" at a local Latino grocery store but I figured it was just a kind of taro. They were small tubers that were almost identical to the "taro root" I've seen at other grocery stores. I knew it would grow into an elephant ear of some kind, but didn't know which (the "taro root" I bought at a different grocery store last year turned out to be Colocasia esculenta). It has turned out to be a Xanthosoma species. Although a bit slower growing than Colocasia esculenta it has gotten almost as big, and has done much better in my rather dry soil than any colocasias ever did. The foliage is very handsome and I especially like the bluish-green color. BTW the plant is much bigger than it looks in this photo--I shot it from a second-story window overlooking my garden. That's Hosta plantaginea on the right, to help put it into perspective.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

More September garden pics in my album--link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: September garden pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grocery store taro

What a nice garden you have!

o
RE: Grocery store taro

Loved your photos, getting spring fever and it's only January!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here