Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Garden then and now

JohnnieB
14 years ago

I was going through some old photos and found a bunch that I had taken in late winter or early spring 2001, shortly after moving into our house in December 2000 (and before I had a digital camera). When we moved in, this is what I was faced with:

Except for a few woody plants, I had no idea what was growing there and it drove me nuts that I couldn't touch it for several more months. I didn't really want a hillside garden but this was the biggest yard we saw of any house in our price range (plus it had a garage, which after 10 years of apartment and condo living and parking on the street was another must-have). When we bought the house I figured gardening on a hillside would be a challenge. It certainly was, and a lot of work to boot, but the results have been worth it.

Of course this isn't an entirely fair comparison because the "before" photo shows my garden before anything is growing, and the "after" photos show my garden at its peak in late summer. So here's a more direct comparison showing my back garden during the growing season over a period of several years, all from the same vantage point looking from the back of the house up the hill towards our garage.

The first photo shows the garden in early summer 2001, when most of the plants were those that had been planted by the previous owner and I had barely made any mark; the second photo is July 2002:

Third photo, July 2004; and finally the last photo, late summer 2009:

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus