Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New kaffir lily

Posted by mmmills z7 NorthTX (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 4, 04 at 12:38

I just got this kaffir lily at a 'water plant sale'. Now, I'm doubting this is really a 'water plant'.

Any suggestions on getting it through the winter? I guess the rhizomes need to be protected from freezing, but is there more?

I'm in zone 7 and the well water here has a pH of 8.0. I collect rainwater for my 'pH sensitive' plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New kaffir lily

The site below should answer your questions. I have six of these gorgeous plants, and as of this month, I will only water once a month, keep them in a dark, cool garage, and begin feeding and watering them when I see the first green leaf in May. They are treated just as amaryllis are - and are worth any effort to grow them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kaffir lily

o

kayjones,

Thanks for the post. You've helped me figure out the mystery of the 'kaffir lily'. The name is thought to be vulgar and/or confusing, and ought to be abandoned. It seems there are two plants going by this 'old' common name.

The current common names are 'River Lily' and 'Bush Lily'. I've out a 'River Lily' and you've described a 'Bush Lily'. Your plant sounds very interesting. I will be on the lookout for one and grab it when I see it.

River Lily
Hesperantha Coccinea: Family name: Iridaceae
Former name: Schizostylus coccinea (kaffir lily)
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/safrplt/msg1015330818034.html
http://www.plantzafrica.com/planthij/hesperanthacoccinea.htm

Bush lily
Clivia miniata :
Family: Amaryllidaceae
Former name: (Kaffir Lily)
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/cliviaminiata.htm

o

Aren't common names helpful? I second the motion to abandon the 'k' word; it is the apartheid equivalent of our own beloved 'n' word, and if possible even more denigrating.

o

I have grown kaffir lilies in Southern CA for many years. I have noticed they grow very well in shade. Every kaffir lily that I have ever planted in any amount of direct sunlight has died. I thought that they could only grow in total shade?

o

I've grown Hesperantha Coccinea (which I knew as Schizostylis) in sand and full sun when I lived on the coast and it spread to the point of being invasive. I had huge clumps of it which I took to a few Gardenweb plant swaps to give away. I now have it in clay inland and it's growing well here, too, full sun with no additional care. I have alba, Mrs. Hegarty, Oregon Sunset, and others.

o

I think Schizostylus will grow ANYWHERE! I think (hope) I've finally gotten rid of mine. It was pretty invasive in my yard.

wanda

o

The Webster Dictionary defines the word "kaffir" as a native indigenous to Africa. It should not have a negative impact on the name of a beautiful flower "Kaffir Lily".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here