Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantlady7788

Looking for Setaria Palmifolia Seeds

plantlady7788
20 years ago

Does anyone have any seed of Setaria Palmifolia? Or know a source? After I saw a picture of it as a container plant in a houseplant encyclopedia, and saw how gorgeous it was, I would dearly love to grow it from seed as an indoor plant. I live in the Midwest, where the temperature has gotten down to -20.

Comments (23)

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    20 years ago

I'll probably have tons of seed in a month or two.

Keep in touch.
    My mother plant is huge !

• plantlady7788
    Original Author
    20 years ago

That sounds great! I would love some. I'll check back with you in a month or so.
    Thanks

• Datdog
    20 years ago

See my above post. I can send you a cutting or two in the fall if you like. Mine is the variegated form not sure if your looking for that one? mich_in_zonal_denial which one do you have?

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    20 years ago

straight green.
    I just took a look at your variegated form and it is quite 'irregularily crinkley' in comparison to the green form.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    20 years ago

I dug up a photo of my Setaria that was taken last year.

It is a 'tad' bit bigger this year !

{{gwi:1303320}}

• Datdog
    20 years ago

What a great shot your plants look fantastic! I like the green form. It's much more upright then the variegated one I have.

• plantlady7788
    Original Author
    20 years ago

That's a gorgeous plant. And you have a beautiful garden. I like the variety of shapes, colors, and textures.

• venezuela
    20 years ago

I am looking at Mich in zonal denials foto and that Setaria looks so very compact and neat. Mine down here grows long and leggy to about 4 feet. Mine is not in full sun but Michs doesnt look like it is either. Is the one we are looking at a hybrid or a species?

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    20 years ago

The one gallon size plant that I purchased from Magic Gardens Nursery in Berkeley CA was labled Setaria palmifolia.

It does stay in pretty much in the shape that you see above but it is about 1/3 larger now than when that pix was taken.

My sun exposure at this area is thus - filtered early morning light, strong high noon sun, filtered afternoon sun, streaks of full sun late afternoon at the height of summer and then back to filtered sun.

I just dug and potted up some reseeded plants and brought them to the California Hort Society where it was eagerly bid on by some of the members. ( they sell $ 1 dollar raffle tickets for donated plants each month at their meetings to raise money for scholarships, hort programs ect... )
    It is not a commonly propagated plant here in the wholesale nursery trade.

• plantlady7788
    Original Author
    20 years ago

To 'mich in zonal denial':
    Let me know when your seed is ripe. I'm looking forward to growing it from seed. It's a beautiful plant!
    Helen

• plantlady7788
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Dear Mich in zonal denial;
    Does your Setaria palmifolia plant have any ripe seed yet?
    Thanks,
    Helen

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    20 years ago

I'll go out and check tomorrow.

The plant has been sending up panicles for a couple of weeks now.
    So I'll shake its booty and see if the bounty is ready yet.

: ~ )

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    20 years ago

The Setaria has tons of seed loaded spikes.
    I shook a couple of the spikes and some loose 'green' seed easily fell into the white envelopes.

My question to you all is : do you think the seed is ripe ?

I took a digital foto of the seed in question and can post it , if need be.

Any info on what color the seed should be when ripe ?

BTW - there is 10000000000000000's of seeds !

• plantlady7788
    Original Author
    20 years ago

To mich_in_zonal_denial:
    I don't know how to tell when they're ripe. Perhaps when the panicles get dry and brown?
    Helen

• JWMoore
    20 years ago

*Whoa* talk about a tropical look, something to enhance a walkway or grow around cannas and bananas!! Geez what a plant I'll have to go look them up and see how they fair in 7B but me thinks I have to have it regarless. I tell you my addiction is getting out of control these Palmifolia just sent me over the top. Thanks for the pic.

JImmy

• mrlynn
    20 years ago

I grow this plant in Chattanooga, TN. It seeds like crazy. I have to pull up the seedlings like weeds. Lots of my container plants have seedlings of Setaria growing in them that have been blown there by the wind. It is a very beautiful plant.

• JWMoore
    20 years ago

Hi mrlynn purely in the spirit of helping a fellow gardener I'd be willing to send you a SASE. The fact that I obliviously have fallen in loven with the plant has nothing to do with my offer. My selfish disire is in no way indictative of my intent to get some of these plants ASAP

• plantlady7788
    Original Author
    20 years ago

To: mich_in_zonal_denial,
    Do you have any ripe seed yet? I believe when they are ready they should be dry and brown. I would be willing to send you a SASE for some seed.
    Thanks

• JWMoore
    20 years ago

Yeah Mich any chance of some extra seed?
    Jimmy

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    20 years ago

Got Seed ?
    yup.

give me an email and I send you out some.
    also have a division for you plantlady

Michelle

• sockored
    19 years ago

I would really be interested in trying to grow inside, if you have any extra seeds still please let me know what i need to get lucky. thank you, sockored

• plantlady7788
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Does anyone have a seedling they could send me?
    Thanks,
    Plantlady

• rickdesigns
    18 years ago

mich_in_zonal_denial

Not sure if you will see this post, as it looks like this tread is quite old, but wow, love the picture of your backyard, very beautiful, and very inspiring. Im a landscape design student a ways down the bay from you. Im working on my backyard looking like that, I am also in denial. :)