Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover Suggestions?

Posted by realityfaery 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 16:37

I posted this in the groundcover forum and got no response, so figured I would try here :)

Hello! I was looking for some groundcover suggestions for my area and for two different areas of the yard. I live in the Central Valley of California, so we get hot summers and cool winters. One area we would like to put groundcover is in a heavily shaded spot in the front yard. It is a flower bed under a tree, but during the fall it loses all of its leaves. So if it can take the sun during the winter or go dormant during that time would be great. The other area is in full sun, so preferably something that can take the intense heat we get here (normally goes over 100F during the summer). I would love if it either reseeds or spreads itself and evergreen, though if I really like it, I will go with an annual. Lastly, we have a tropical theme throughout both the front and back yard. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover Suggestions?

I looking for the same thing, only I am in San Jose. I am thinking about going with low growing chamomile - I think it's the roman chamomile. For shade, baby's tears is everywhere in the shade down here, it's pretty tropical looking and lush In San Jose and easy to grow in shade- unsure about winter sun, ours is always shaded part time by a fence.
Eager to see what else is suggested.
Pea

o

Liriope is used everywhere here. There's even a black variety of it, which looks great with stone pavers.

o

Ice plants (delosperma) for sun, and dwarf sanseveria for shade.

Photobucket

o

Thanks everyone! I'll have to look into these :)

o

how about perennial peanut for the sun? you can even mow it!
the flowers are edible, taste like peanuts!

o

I am zone 6 Pa but I think if you want a yellow groundcover for a moist site Creeping Jenny can be green or Yellow, depending on variety. Maybe the west coast is dry? If you have some steady moisture. Creeping Jenny is great. Ajuga Reptans is worth researching for drier areas. I have Barren Raspberry or something similar under an American Beech. It may not survive ultra drought conditions, but some irrigation after a long drought will make it look good.

o

I just thought I'd add that Hoya's are good for warm winter areas, I am not sure on moisture need.

o

Thank you so much everyone for the suggestions! I'll take a look at all of them :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here