15 years ago

Here's some of this years pictures:

{{gwi:537339}}

{{gwi:419273}}

{{gwi:537341}}

Comments (7)

• jeffreydv
    15 years ago

Beautiful gardens. Do you overwinter in the ground or indoors?

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    15 years ago

Hi Kevin,Your garden looks beautiful as always! I really love that Abyssinian banana plant. I think I will have get one next year. My Basjoo did really well planted in the ground this summer and I am going to try and overwinter it in the ground. I really hope it makes it. Hope the weather holds out for you and you don't get a frost too soon! I not ready to start dragging all the tropicals back in the house.
    Linda :)

• marleneann
    15 years ago

Very pretty garden.

• kasha77
    15 years ago

OM Gosh! this is the first time I am visiting this forum- I am astounded that you can grow a palm in zone 4! Your gardens are so spectacular that they could be a public viewing botanical garden! Thanks for sharing them!
    Kasha77

• scully931
    15 years ago

I miss summer! :-(

I'm going to try that Abyssinian banana this year. I didn't really know much about it before. I've been growing basjoo for two years now. Also going to finally get some canna. Pink, I think. :-)

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    15 years ago

scully931, you will be very happy with growing Abyssinian bananas. They grow so much faster and taller than basjoo or any other musa(at least in my climate where we have cool nights and hot days). I also grow musa 'Texas Star' which rivals the hardiness of Basjoo, but it never gets that tall. I dig the ensete plants up in the Fall and pot them in 15 gallon pots. You can either cut them off to 3 foot stumps and place in an unheated, unlit room in your basement if you have one, or keep them growing near a sunny window, as long as you spray them with insecticidal soap for spider mites. I have 5 red ensete banana plants in my living room right now (I have a two story A-frame house with lots of windows). The tallest is 12-13 feet high and so it reaches up to the second story of the room. Good luck!

Kevin

• ccckoball
    15 years ago

Hey, Arctictropical, Great Pics! Thanks for the teaser. what is the variety of your red/purple leaf cannas?

Sponsored