Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haycarumba99

Coconut trees in California?

haycarumba99
20 years ago

IS anyone growing these or know of any growing there?

Comments (49)

• Ron_B
    20 years ago

Sunset Western Garden Book lists it for Hawaii only, below 2,000' (which it calls the Coconut Palm Belt). So, if anyone in zonal denial has one on in California it's probably down near Mexico.

• mbarnes4104
    20 years ago

I met someone who lived in Malibu (actually had a house right on the beach) who had a coconut tree in a pot on his patio. He told me a friend gave it to him and he'd had it for a few years and it was okay. I live in the San Fernando Valley and tried several times with coconut palms I bought from a higher end grocery store (Gelson's) but they kept dying, even indoors. I asked someone knowledgable at a nursery who said you can't grow them here. Even the grocery store that sold them said that they never survived more than a month or two. I don't know how long the malibu coconut palm survived, I assume it may have just liked the temperate malibu beach climate (or hey maybe just the neighborhood!)

• Oceansider
    20 years ago

I saw one gallon coco palms yesterday at Lowe's in Oceanside CA. They are labeled as indoor plants, but kept outside in partial shade. I might try a few in pots outside, against a south facing wall for winter warmth (Sunset zone 24).

I saw coconut palms on my first trip to South Florida this summer, and I want them. I can grow bananas like weeds, but now I feel like an Iowan trying to beat the climate for a tropical look.
    A couple of 30 foot cocos along my back fence would look great silhouetted against the sunset.

• wilmington_islander
    20 years ago

Bueno suerte, Californians! Coconuts will only grow in Hawaii, and parts of Florida successfully ( Cape Canaveral on down on the east coast, and St. Pete BEACH on the west. You all don't get too cold; you just don't get warm enough! Cocos hates temps below 60. There are, I am sure, a VERY few specimens in California, but if you try it, I would highly reccomend heating cables for the roots.

• LApalmsCAL
    20 years ago

The coconut is pictured in the image program conected to Gardenweb, just enter coconut. It's in Newport. I understand that several people have them in San Diego and the're doing well. Also a few in the L.A. Area. I had one for 5 years, until El Nino kept it's roots wet for a month. The one I have now has been in the front yard for 3 years, doing well. Thank you for King Palms! they are just as good looking (almost) as far as I'm concerned.

• wilmington_islander
    20 years ago

I should have also mentioned that they do quite well in the lower 1/5 of the Texas coast...was in Brownsville in 2000 and saw many, several of which were over 30 feet and absolutely loaded with coconuts....I'm jealous too, LAPALMS, nothing like a fresh coco, picked right off the tree, ice it down, and drink/eat it later.

• LApalms
    20 years ago

YUM
    You got that right, Wilmington!
    :)

• Phoenicophorium
    20 years ago

LApalms, do you have anymore info on the wet root coconuts? How big is your 3 year old coco? thanks.

• LApalms
    20 years ago

Phoenicio-
    See "growing Coconuts in CA" on the Tropical forum. It is more of a "Tropical" forum subject, not "tropicalesque" . Also see "Northern most Coconut" in Palms & Cycads forum, about the one in Newport beach. I don't really understand the tropicalesque thing. It seems people are talking about tropical plants here. And also, there are many people in coastal California who aren't even aware that they live in a sub-tropical climate,zone 10 & 11 (Dry-Summer Subtropical, or "Mediteranean"). The "tropical" forum tells about all the great plants that do VERY well here and how to plant, care, etc.

• LApalms
    20 years ago

They don't grow in California.....
    See"Newport Beach Coconut" posts on the "Palms & Cycads" forum.
    Bueno Suerte, Baby

• Phoenicophorium
    20 years ago

CONFUSED!!!!!
    Checklist:
    You have one for 5 years.... right?
    One in Newport Beach for 18 years.... right?
    See growing coconuts in california in tropicals forum.... Where?
    See Newport... I did
    They don't grow in California..... huh? 5 years, 18 years, don't grow? Which one?

iBueno Suerte con tu coco tambien, y espero que su coco prospere!

• georgeiii
    20 years ago

Wait a minute. I've grown several Coconut palm in z6. Their grown in a five gallon bucket. Just had to watch the rain water tho they don't like sitting in sour water.

• BrianB
    19 years ago

I've seen the coconut in Newport Beach. I spoke with the owner. He got it as a gift from his girlfriend when she went to Maui. Neither knew that coconuts "don't grow" in LA.
    There was one in San Diego too but a Palm Society member bought and moved it and it died. There is a grove in a little town on the Salton Sea. The guy is a teacher and bought them "on sale" from Home Depot, again not knowing that "coconuts won't grow here". There was an article in Principes about it. I will attempt to see them. They are below sea level, warm almost all year but do get a frost once in a while, at least away from the edge of the water but he may have the perfect microclimate.

• Ericmonkey
    19 years ago

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay a minute,
    george 11, THey are talking about outsides cocos

• scaldude
    18 years ago

Sorry all,

Coco-palms can grow outdoors in Southern Cal...although none have been known to bear coconuts. I live in Orange County and grew one, I brought back from Hawaii, in a terracotta pot for 2 years. It survived rare night temps below 40. Ironically, it died when I brought it inside because of re-stucco and painting around my balcony. Go figure. I went to Home Depot and replaced it. I'll keep you all informed of it's progress.

SCalDude

• scaldude
    18 years ago

South Orange County, CA USDA Zone 9b - 10a

~ SCalDude

• butterfly15_ca
    18 years ago

Although true coconut palms are difficult, if not impossible, to grow outside in the ground in California, there is one palm that resembles the coconut that can be grown. It is the Quito coconut palm (Parajubaea cocoides). It is not related, (at least closely), to the coconut palm, but it looks like a coconut. It has glossy fronds that are almost the same as coconut fronds, but the trunk of the palm is covered in hairy fiber. There are some very nice ones up here in the Bay Area, such as in San Francisco and at the UC Berkeley Garden. I think the Lake Merritt Palmatum also has some nice ones. Some Quito coconuts have supposedley survived to the low 20's during severe winters. Oh, its called the Quito coconut because it is from the Quito region of Ecuador and it grows walnut-sized coconuts. The Quito coconut might be a candidate palm for those of you seeking to recreate the tropics.

• scaldude
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info! I'm sure you're very knowledgeable...aren't books great? But judging from your comments, it would appear that you're on the bench & we're in the GAME!

• fossel
    15 years ago

the guy I buy palms from has a 6 footer in his yard in oceanside.He said he covered it with plastic for 3 winters but since then its been making it!

• equintana81_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Coconut palms in coastal So.Cal seem to have a chance if between the months of Oct and May, the palms are kept in a rain AND sun protected shelter in southern patios, yards. During the cooler months I avoid watering much and since sun will further dry out the fronds, I make sure only the pot (black or dark color) gets direct sunlight to help keep the roots warm. In the winter I water early in the day preferably if its going to be a sunny warm day (especially when the Santa Ana Winds kick up). Coconut palms can survive Southern California winters as long as their roots aren't wet and cold. I've used a combination of 1/4 sand and 3/4 "super soil" from homedepot and its turned out to be the most successful combination of soils. The winter air temperature will stun the plant but not enough to kill it. It's usually the combination of the cool air and wet roots that's the kiss of death for any so.cal coconut.

I've done my own test of these palms for the last few years with about 7-8 different types of coconut palms in coastal Orange County. The Walmart palms lasted a few years but the best luck I've had has been with a couple Jamaican Talls I got through ebay. They're about 5 - 6 ft tall now and the roots are coming out the bottom of their pots. I'm planting in the ground soon with a water heated PVC pipe system to help the roots stay warm. Its a south facing planting location under an orange tree along a brick fence. Hopefully all goes well and good luck to all the so.cal coconut growers! I hope this information helps!

• rhizophora
    15 years ago

Maybe you could make a really deep hole, fill the bottom with gravel, then put the coconut palm in, with sandy soil and heating cables? I really want to try this, but I can't get hold of any coconut palms in the first place. I've heard of a spray called 'Freeze Pruf' and it makes plants hardier by 2 to over 9 degrees F. I dont think it is available yet but I bet it would help your coconut palms survive!
    Good luck
    James

• mercerislander
    13 years ago

This comment is related to Coconuts generally, outside of their comfort zones in Florida and Texas.
    For MANY years I tried to grow coconut palms indoors in the Seattle area, and previously the best I could do was about two years.
    Finally, five years ago, I figured out that they were dying because of cold or damp roots--not because of the house temperature. So I planted two in a mixture of about 80% sand and 20% potting soil, and kept the pots on indoor heat mats made for starting seeds. These keep the soil above 70 degrees. Even though the house average temperature is in the upper sixties, the palms have both thrived and are each about seven feet tall.
    Two other tips: Keep the soil fairly dry in the winter, and be extremely vigilant about spider mites.

• anthonycarson86_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

i have a coconut tree 3 years old in lynwood ca.im soon to post pics 3years old

• alex_7b
    12 years ago

@mercerislander

What type of lighting do you use?
    How tall are your ceilings?

• Febsky
    9 years ago

I grew up in the Philippines and it is hot and humid over there. We have rain from the months of June to December. How come it doesn't bother the Coconuts over there (since forum stated it hated wet roots)

• Tqlamaster
    9 years ago

Hola Forum members! I am new here however I want to let you know that I am growing a coconut palm on my patio in Oceanside, CA.

Right now it stands about 4 feet tall and has produced 3 new fronds and 2 newer ones on their way.

It is very healthy!!

• London Anderson( Los Angeles/ Orange County )
    8 years ago

Ya I have a 9 month old coco palm in northern orange county in SoCal and its doing fine, it just has a few sunburn spots but its been here for 3 months and has grown 4 new fonds sense then.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    8 years ago

There have been found coconut palms in the Coachella Valley that have fruited. Big palms. GW....

8 years ago

Wait r u serious! There are some live coco palms In the Coachella valley! And they have coconuts!

• palmbob
    8 years ago

As soon as one was found, the owner cut it down (Augh!)… oh well.. there is still one left… not sure if that one is fruiting. But at least it can be done in the most perfect of microclimates that exist in California… but in general, NOT a good choice to try to grow in the ground here.

8 years ago

Lol true! I'm growing mine in Fullerton California in northern orange county, about 14 miles inland, its only 9 months old but its doing good and has sprouted 4 new leafs sence being here and 2 more on the way

• parker25mv
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Because of the sprawling suburban landscape and all the development that has gone on in Southern California, all the asphalt paved surfaces have really increased Winter temperatures in the region, compared to 70 years ago.

On the downside, stone fruits are harder to grow here than they used to be. There were commercial orchards in Orange County growing apricots in the 1940s (and this was before low-chill apricot varieties were available).

The dry air in Southern California is probably just as big a factor to coconut palms having difficulty as the temperature is, and they will probably do better closer to the coast.

There used to be a coconut palm in Newport Beach planted against the side of a building with a little plaque saying it was planted in 1984. It was only about 18 feet tall (but maybe that was because the roots don't have enough space because the surrounding area is all paved over and it was competing with another palm planted right next to it). There's also a small one growing in the San Diego Zoo, sheltered in a small corner to keep it warm and humidified.

However, those near the coast complain about a lack of overall heat during the winter, it's not just a matter of winter cold. Axel on the Cloudforest tropical fruit forum claims several people in Southern California have planted coconuts in certain microclimate areas of Palm Springs, the palms just need a lot of water.

7 years ago

Turns out the Salton Sea area..slightly more humid and still blazing hot as the rest of the desert is good cocont weather.

They do grow looking different here. Unlike what you see in the tropics- those desert coconut palms held boots from ground to the top of a 20' palm. They looked like curved date palm trunks. Or a Washy. The fronds were also a bit thinner.

Correction!.the trunk wasnt quite that boot full. And the fronds were about normal looking at the photo again. Cut down- ouch!

Still,it was one in a million efforts!

• steiconi
    7 years ago

I planted coconut palms (about 3' tall and spindly) at the bottom of my property 8 years ago. They are now about 7' tall and fuller. In another 20 years, they may be visible from my house, but they'll never fruit because I'm at 1500 feet, and it's too cold here, getting down to high 40s some winter nights.

However, they do very well at sea level here, despite 170 inches of rain a year.

If you're not going to get coconuts (I didn't realize I wouldn't when I planted them), you might as well plant a palm that will do better in your area.

7 years ago

The Newport Beach coco died because it was not watered. When it was alive,it was on a strict water and never fertilized diet. No telling how much better it would have looked well grown. I can never figure why palm experts never mention it was just part of a commercial stripmall type landscaping for an insurance office! It wasn't lavished with TLC.

It wont be repeated because now a Washingtonia towers in that spot.

• jv42048
    7 years ago

I have a coconut tree had it for 6 years

• jv42048
    7 years ago

In WILMINGTON ca

7 years ago

Photos JV,photos!

Thats a great climate,very nice area to live.

• Josue Diaz
    7 years ago

There's also a coconut growing in someone's front yard in Corona, probably 20 feet tall to the top of the tallest frond.

7 years ago

Can ask for the street address JD? We can then see it on google..and see how its grown over the last few years.

7 years ago

Ya that would be awesome cause I live close to there

• Josue (Zone 9b, Central, inland California)
    7 years ago

www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/51903-corona-ca-coconut/&page=2

I don't know the address, but someone posted a picture of it on this other forum.

7 years ago

Its a coconut. Looking better then most King or even Queen palms in soucal. The last 5- 10 years have been best ever for growing tropicals in California. Things have changed.

I found on Google homes almost identical in south Corona..but not THE house. If I had a street address..ha.

7 years ago

That palm has had great growth since 2007. Amazingly,since it looked the first two years to have barely survived.

What do I teach all the time? PROTECT young tropicals..after TWO years,things can really change. In California we just rarely have the options to plant out something 6' tall..right? We ask dinky plants to take 32f..and then give up when they- the weight of a feather- cannot.

Try again and try larger!..and smarter.

7 years ago

73f yesterday in Corona..with a low of 32f. I don't get it. Plants,go figure.

7 years ago

Corona has been hitting the 32f mark night after night! It must be the beer...

• Josue (Zone 9b, Central, inland California)
    7 years ago

Does Corona have ocean influence? Despite hitting the mid and low 30s, my guess is Corona is far enough inland to warm up during the day at least to the 60s during winter. The difference in Northern California (east bay) is that even if you never get frost, daytime temperatures won't go above the 50s for weeks during the winter and that'll kill a coconut in no time.

The same thing happens here every time I try to grow papaya. The foliage sails right through winter, and then before the weather has a chance to warm, the roots will rot and the green plants fall over - sometimes with flower buds on them. They just can't take the cold, wet conditions.

7 years ago

Try Maridols...mine have fruit and so far still standing this winter. I see another in Hayward also still going.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz