Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
datdog

Pitcher plants!

Datdog
20 years ago

These plants remind me of Calla Lilies gone bad! Inside each tube is a grave yard of dead insects! Very easy plant to grow for any type of garden.

Sarracenia leucophylla 'Tarnock'

{{gwi:1303408}}

Sarracenia (green)xrubra ssp.jone

{{gwi:1303409}}

Comments (5)

• Marcia2001
    20 years ago

I love the look of these plants! Also could u tell me how to make a picture come up like yours....on here?

• jim_z7
    20 years ago

I love pitcher plants (well actually any carnivorous plant) but these do have fairly strict cultural requirements. They need a nutrient poor soil (usually a mix of peat moss and sand), mineral free water, and lots of sun. They may survive without these but I wouldn't expect them to thrive and grow well. Usually fertilizing will kill them.
    Jim

• thad_huffman
    19 years ago

Mine's still kikkin in the heat in Houston....Thad

• wanda
    19 years ago

I have several assorted pitcher plants, fly traps and sundews growing outdoors in 1/2 barrels. Many are native to the U.S. and should do fine if their requirements (acid, boggy soil) are met. I used a mixture of 1/2 peat and 1/2 perlite. They get distilled water in summer here in dry CA, but those of you in the east should have no problem using collected rainwater.

Wanda

• danbo
    19 years ago

"you in the east should have no problem using collected rainwater."

True.

Though I don't grow the plant I appreciate them. Here you usually see them growing in ditches. And in fresh water bogs.