Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blaird_gw

Hardy Tropicals in Ontario

blaird
19 years ago

Hi there!!

This is my first post, so I hope I am doing it right. I am thinking about planting some tropicals around the yard in the spring and was wondering if anyone is growing hardy palms (like needles, sabal, or trachycarpus)., and other tropicals and if so, how much protection do they really need. Also wondering of bananas survive with some heavy mulch? PS Im the niagara region. Any info would be great! Thanks Again!!!

Comments (8)

• don_brown
    19 years ago

I was at Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake last week. What a beautiful region! I note that Mori nursery was selling Trachycarpus palm, several bamboos, and Musa basjoo. I am in a zone 6A and have Hibiscus moscheutos, Musa Basjoo, yucca, Poncirus trifoliata, two bamboos all in the ground. A good layer of mulch is needed for the banana, and the others need little if any protection. A bit of fungicide in fall and spring should prevent moisture damage. I plan on trying needle palm and trachycarpus soon.

• elkgrvboyz
    19 years ago

Hi ...

Check out the Banana Forum for lot's of good info on musa basjoo in your zone ... I just planted them for the first time so I'm planning to overwinter them in ground per some of the helpfull hints on that forum.

Good Luck!

• blaird
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you or the info!!!! I will definitely take a look down at Mori's too!

• tomato_NS_zone_6a
    19 years ago

Don Brown, have you been to the Briar Patch farm & Nursery near South berwick, Nova Scotia. They have Trachycarpus Fortunei 3gal=29.99 5-10gallon 79.99, Large Southern magnolia's 'Edith bogue' for 69.99. musa basjoo for 29.99, bamboo, atlas and deodar cedar for 69.99, large Albizia julibrissin for 89.99 . If your in the area check them out.

• don_brown
    19 years ago

tomato:

I was at the Briar Patch earlier this summer, and they are now a part of my regular "nursery tour" which also includes DeHaans' in Middleton. I purchased a T fortunei and a Black Magic Taro from them. I already have the Musa basjoo and bamboo, but was tempted to purchase more. I also bought what they claimed was a Canna "Stuttgart", but sadly is not.

I'm in Halifax, so if you ever want to see the garden (I have a lot crammed into a small space) drop by.....before it gets cold.

• celebritymd
    19 years ago

i have a musa basjoo im gonna try next year, its in a pot this yr, i didnt wanna plant it in the fall since i think it needs the whole season to get going. i had windmill palms back in maryland, they did fine.. if i can grow them here that would be awesome

• tomato_NS_zone_6a
    19 years ago

Don, You should come on over to the "Hardy Palms and More for the Northeast" There are many Nova Scotians there, Paul( i think you know him already), Jamie and Jon and me.
    How far away are you from Saint Mary's University?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Palms and More for the Northeast

• don_brown
    19 years ago

Thanks for the link, Tomato, I will check it out. I live in the Hydrostone which is in the north end of Halifax....but it's easily reached on public transit if you're thinking of checking out the gatrden. Let me know.