Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boca_joe

2005 Tropicals at Boca cay

hey gang-

I just posted my 2005 photos from my jungle here at Boca cay.

Be sure and check out both 2005 albums.

enjoy!

Boca Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Boca cay 2005

Comments (8)

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

I was given the grand tour of Boca Cay this past Sunday and it is a sight to behold. It literally felt like we were in Flordia instead of the DC area. What I did learn was that I was too shy with the fertilizer and that I should still do it until late October or early November, not late August as all the so called experts claim. My thanks to Boca Joe and for his visit to the "Virginia Bananas and Palm Plantation" on Saturday. Dave from NoVa was also at Joe's and it was a pleasure meeting him as well.

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    Original Author
    18 years ago

John,

I did want to make clear about the fertilization.

You can fertlize your summer tropicals (anything that will have to come in or will be tossed) unlike late Sept or possibility early October.

YOU can fertilize other "hardy" plants (anything that stays in the ground from year to year) up until November or so. IT tends to help them produce more extensive root systems if they are fertilized in the fall , when they naturally are producing more roots.

hope that helps and thanks for the compliments.

Boca Joe

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

Thanks again Joe. I will try it with my hardy tropicals this year. BTW, what do you know about the Chilean Wine Palm, Jubuea Chilensis? I have hear it is hardy to zone 7, but haven't been able to find out more information. I also understand they take many years to look like a palm of any consequence.

• JohnnieB
    18 years ago

Probably the only palms that are reliably hardy in the DC area are Sabal minor and Rhapidophyllum hystrix. These are definitely hardy in zone 7a. Some of the Trachycarpus species (fortunei, wagnerianus, takil) are hardy to zone 7b and in our 7a/7b area can be long-term survivors in a sheltered spot near a building or especially favorable microclimate.

Anything else--and certainly any other trunking palms--will probably need considerable protection to overwinter here.

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

From what I have been reading, T.Takil may be the best choice in the DC area for long term survial of a trunking palm if planted in the right location. Some say that it can withstand much colder temps than the T. Fortunei and Wagnerianus and should be hardy to Zone 6. We will have to see as the years go by. Boca Joe has had success so far with his T. Fortunei "Bulgarian" and he hasn't babied it in the winter. I am concerned about my T. Fortunei and they will get some protection this winter. Like the folks in Northern Florida, I am concerned about the one "polar express" that will come along every 10-15 years that may wipe out otherwise hardy palms and plants in my garden.

• sandy0225
    18 years ago

Joe,
    beautiful pictures! You guys are so lucky, having ANY palm you can keep without potting. Mine has to stay potted and be moved in and out! That canna "stuttgart" is beautiful. Just when I thought I had all the plants I wanted....
    Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    Sandy in Indiana

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

Sandy:

You could probably grow a needle palm with success in your area if you put it in your garden in a south facing protected spot. Needle palms can take up to -20F in the winter and you would not have to move them inside in pots.

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

Sandy:

Sabal Minor might make it too in a sheltered spot. What is your coldest overnight temp?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting