Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

This years pics of giant outdoor Ensete bananas and hibiscus

arctictropical
9 years ago

Comments (11)

• Edie
    9 years ago

Gorgeous as always. Your photos inspired me to get my own Ensete. Just one so far. This year (the third summer) it's finally taller than the dahlias and I love it.

Are those amaryllids in the sunken pots in between?

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks edie. Yes, the amaryllis do quite well outside.

• palmgal
    9 years ago

Those are gorgeous! Do you dig up the bananas to store for the winter or protect them outside?

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Great stuff, if you're still around, arc. I like the bananas as well as other tropical and big-leaved things like the calocasias and alocasias. The problem I run into with such items is that much of the work I do is in downtown "canyons" with their howling winds. Tends to shred the leaves of such plants. Other than that, I think they're great.

+oM

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Arctic, are there any palms or bananas that you STILL are protecting inground? I hope you still have a few, but, I would imagine it takes some work to do it all. Poaky1

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry for the delay in replying! Since I let my three large palms die (Mediterranean Fan palms and Windmill palm which was 16' tall) because they were too tall to protect, I have started over. I've had a Pindo Palm (butia capitata) and Mexican Blue Fan Palm (Hesper) outside for a couple of years and they are doing great!

• poaky1
    8 years ago

I just got 6 Needle palms, I will keep them indoors (basement) in winter until they get a little bigger. I will need to protect them then, they are likely zone 7 without protection, and I am zone 6. I am thinking straw, burlap and lights. Sound okay? We have had lows down to -10F the last 2 winters. I am going to try and overwinter a Quartz mountain Live oak this winter, they are said to be zone 5 hardy, but, I am zone 6 and thinking that it should be okay, maybe I should get some lights for over winter. It is about 2-3 years old (GUESSING) and not a twig, but still pretty small limbed. I don't suppose anyone has one of them here on this forum. later Poaky1

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Oh BTW, arctic what are you using to protect those 2 palms you mentioned? My Musa Basjoo bananas died out. They lasted about 3 years then no more. Poaky1

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Me again, I can give away a few of them, any takers? I will send free, up to 3 of them. Poaky1

• aruzinsky
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What tropical plants have you tried to grow outdoors that failed? In case you like challenges, try Heliconias. Many years ago, I grew Heliconia Aureo-Striata outdoors in zone 5. It didn't do great but it grew. I also flowered musa coccinea outdoors but it wasn't easy.

http://www.general-cathexis.com/images/Bananas002.jpg

• poaky1
    8 years ago

The plants I will send are the Needle palms, it reads like I will give away the Musa's I don't have now. Just wanted to add that. Arctic I am guessing that you protected those palms the way you protected the others, which you explained a long time ago. Poaky1

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH