Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Zealand Flax 'Apricot Queen' Perennial for me or not

Posted by tikigardener 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 16, 09 at 0:51

Lowes has 75% off outdoor plants now so I've snagged some great deals but some of the things they've told me are perennial here I'm not so sure of. They were cheap so I can give it a go but I'd hate to think of looking forward to enjoying them next year and they don't come back.
The best thing I got was a New Zealand Flax "Apricot Queen". Now they said it was perennial but I'm not feeling too hopeful after looking online. It will be planted in full sun but it will also have a nice blanket of snow on it through the winter.
Also Lily of the Nile.
Anyone tried these in colder zones?
Please tell me YES and and I canhave them!! I do not want to dig any more plants out and the inside of my house already looks like a jungle with all my patio plants inside!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Zealand Flax 'Apricot Queen' Perennial for me or not

My experience with light-colored New Zealand flax has been bad. I had 3 very large ones that died last winter when we had some freezing weather. (Notice: I'm in zone 8b and flax should be hardy.) But a friend said his was regrowing from the root after it died down--he mulched his. I had forgotton to mulch mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here