Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kypalms

Over-Wintering

kypalms
15 years ago

hey you all this is my first time posting here, I live in Louisville, Kentucky, and I have a Sago Palm, 4 Chinese Fan Palms, a Pygmy Date Palm, and I just ordered 2 Musa Basjoo's. I know I cannot leave the Pygmy Date Palm outside all winter here, but I was planning on keeping the others outside all winter with some protection. Is this possible? Should I keep the Musa Basjoo's potted indoors untill spring? It usually doesnt get below 5-10 degrees here and most of the plants will be shielded from the wind. For protection, I was planning on wrapping the Fan Palms in Burlap and putting a layer of leaves/pine needles inbetween that and the Palms, and for the Musa's and the Sago, I was going to cover the bases with a good layer of mulch. Thanks for your alls help.

Comments (3)

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

I'd bring everything indoors.

Sagos can handle a few degrees of frost, but anything except possibly a large well-sited plant will not take 5-10F without severe damage or death (and southern Kentucky can occasionally dip down well below zero; I've experienced 20 below in Lexington). Chinese fan palms have survived winters in your zone with good protection/mulching, but can be expected to be a shadow of their former selves if they make it. Musa basjoo will handle zone 7 winters if well-established before frost, but newly ordered plants are another story - I recommend overwintering them in a frost-free location at this point, preferably a cool windowsill-type environment.

• planterjake
    15 years ago

Hey, I love seeing people from KY planting palms and other tropicals. I ived in Lexington, KY, Zone 7, untill June when I moved to Florida. Last year my Sago was left out in the ground. The frost didn't brown the leaves untill the temperature went below 20 degrees. I mulch around the base. In the spring I cut off the old yellow leaves and moved it to another part of the yard, it was still alive. It won't get a new flush of fronds untill June.

My Musa Basjoo was planted in the spring and over wintered with mulch. In the spring it grew twice as fast as it did before thew frost. It started growing in April and by the time I moved May 28th it was already as tall as its max height the last fall.

I was going to try Chinese Fan Palms this year, but I moved :(.

If you would like to plant some palms look these up:

Neddle Palm- Survives to -20
    Windmill Palm- cold hardy trunking palm
    Sabal Minor- looks like a shrub version of Palmetto

I also read that Texas Palmetto is hardy to zone 7, I bought one and was going to plant it. I may be moving back to the Lexington area next year and will plant these.

I also left out Cannas and Elephant Ears and cut the dead growth after the frost. They all grew again in the spring, our low was 3 degrees, three nights.

Here are some of my KY pics, the Sago, Banana, Elephnat Ears, and Cannas are there, no palms though: http://community.webshots.com/user/PkiJake

Another forum you should check out is at the bottom. There are occasianly other KY palm people and me. Keep my updated, I like to see how other KY Tropical people are doing, espcially if I move back.

Jake

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Palm Forum

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

I think you need to take into account the differences between potential hardiness for large plants that've had a chance to establish themselves as opposed to young potted specimens.

Musa basjoo certainly is capable of surviving Kentucky winters, but newly ordered potted plants are a big risk if received in mid-fall and plunked into the ground, even if well-mulched. Best to give them a full growing season to establish hardiness (and I'd still mulch well at least that first winter outdoors).

It'd be interesting to see if planterjake's sago palm put out new growth after wintering outdoors in the Lexington area. This plant is typically rated as hardy only into zone 8, with significant damage when temps drop below 20F (Lexington the last I heard was in zone 6, and while winters don't get below zero much, there are severe cold snaps every now and then that drop readings down to as low as minus-20F).

Again, a palm that's had several years in the ground, is optimally sited and gets appropriate protection can be surprisingly hardy. A young potted specimen is far more vulnerable.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery