Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One more question... :-/

Posted by scully931 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 21, 09 at 15:19

We have had one frost. Could I still pot up my musa basjoo and bring it in for the winter? I wasn't sure if it would hurt it since the leaves are already done. I have two and I was wanting to try leaving one out and mulching and potting the smaller one and bringing it in.

(BTW, just to save anyone time and effort, I have posted before asking about the pros and cons of leaving them out vs. bringing them in. :-) Didn't want anyone to spend their time explaining it to me only to discover my earlier posts. Just wondering if I missed the boat on bringing it in.)

Thank you SO much! :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One more question... :-/

I see no one answered.

But yes, you can do one of two things -- trim off the dead leaves, pot it, and grow it on indoors OR trim off the dead leaves, put it in a pot to hold the dirt, and store in a cool (45 to 60 degrees) dark and somewhat humid place until spring. If you store it dormant, DON'T WATER IT all winter, won't hurt it, but watering it might make it rot. I store bannanas in my basement every winter much like you would store a canna. Works fine.

o

You cqan defiantely do that. You can even trim the roots a little if you want it potted up in a smaller pot, but keep it in a cool frost free room and water maybe a total of 2 times during the whole winter.

o

Thank you very much. Might try leaving one in the ground this year, the other inside. So far no luck on overwintering. Maybe this is my year. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here