Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aikidokap

Watering question

aikidokap
18 years ago

I've had my tropical garden going around my pool in the back for a couple years now. Original start was by a landscaper working on a very, very tight budget.

I've now started remove/replacing items that didn't really fit with the concept now that it's established.

I have large queen palms, a couple hibiscus, some pygmy date palms all sharing a space along a back wall.

The queens provide a bit of an overstory, but much sunlight still gets through. I'm now working on creating midstory/texture by adding broad leaf plants like mid height bananas, cannas, etc.

I have automatic sprinklers for this entire area.

After much fiddling in the first year, I got the schedule down to two 15 min waterings/3 days a week. Most stuff seemed fairly healthy, but some appearances don't look so good. For instance, my hibiscus bushes grow fairly large (6+ft) but are very spindly with few leaves. Flowers on them are huge and colorful, though.

Soil never seems soggy. Getting better about fertilizing much more frequently.

I read an article with gorgeous pics of a backyard in San Diego (close by) and it was very lush...most plants have very dark green leaves, etc. In it, he mentioned that he gives his entire yard one long drink of about an hour, but only does it once every two weeks.

Originally, I thought that I would need to somewhat simulate the tropical native conditions of these plants..ie..the two quick "rainstorms" per day.

So..for a "standard" tropical mix like this, how often do you feed and water?

Any ideas about overall health would be much appreciated as well.

aiki

Comment (1)

Sponsored