Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vtskiers

Lurker comes clean

Sue W (CT zone 6a)
18 years ago

Here are a few pictures of my 2005 garden. Up until last year it was mostly hardy stuff. Then I started lurking here, and on the canna, banana and brug forum...now I'm hooked and am already thinking about changes for next year. Luckily I had some new garden space to fill this season.

This Musa basjoo was planted in May from a gallon sized dormant pot. The patio bed is south facing and protected by the garage wall behind so I'm hoping to winter it over in the ground with protection.

{{gwi:1063843}}

A hot summer was just the ticket for the Charles Grimaldi brug. It has a whole new flush of flowerbuds now. Hopefully the next two days of warmer than normal weather will be enough to bring them out.

{{gwi:1303696}}

The patio beds...

{{gwi:1094754}}

Side entrance...

{{gwi:1303698}}

This banana was overwintered in the house last year as a houseplant. Now it's huge-what do I do?

{{gwi:1303700}}

Thanks for looking.

Sue

Comments (15)

• jayferg
    18 years ago

Great yard! Thanks for sharing your pictures. :)

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    18 years ago

very nice Sue!!

• kayjones
    18 years ago

Oh, how beautiful - thanks for sharing your successes with us! In the second picture, what are the red-blooming plants on the right?

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Kay, the red blooming plant is Salvia coccinea. It's not hardy here but is worth buying as an annual. The hummingbirds love it too.

Thanks for the encouragement folks. Boca Joe, I've been enjoying your photos for quite some time-very inspirational.

Sue

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    18 years ago

Now that looks a whole lot better than some juniper and mugo pines. Well done!

Cheers, Barrie.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

Nice Sue! I may have seen these posted on the perennials forum(?) recently, I like your design and plant choices... I bet you get humming birds too!
    What is the dark leaved canna? I've got Australia this year but I don't think it's been getting enough sun to really darken up. Is the grey plant cardoon or artichoke? Does it overwinter for you?
    Kato

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

Lovely yard! The huge banana? Build a greenhouse!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kato, the dark leafed canna behind the bench is Australia. The one on the patio behind the fountain is, I think, Red King Humbert. When I bought it the tag just said "Red" but later on the nursery had the same plants labeled red King Humbert.

The silver plant is cardoon. I'll let you know in the spring if it overwinters for me. I know someone in the Rochester, NY area who has had them winter over but I think this spot may be too wet.

A greenhouse, I wish...no space.

Sue

• aikidokap
    18 years ago

Good lord, that's about one of the most beautiful "blood" cannas I've ever seen!

Kudos!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

Excellent, I'm so happy the canna is Australia! The plant I have was a tiny offshoot from a friend's plant so it's not yet at it's full potential.... I was a little disapointed. Now I'm excited again! Maybe next year I can do a real tacky combination with some other bright cannas like tropicana or bengal tiger. That should be an eyefull!

• birdinthepalm
    18 years ago

I love your gardens, and those tropicals look great. I must try a banana some day, as I've got the cannas , gingers, lots of potted palms, and many other tropicals I move out for my summer garden. Just recently the brugs as well, and hopefully mine will bloom much earlier next year, rather than late Oct, and early November for their first blooms this year. That's much too late to appreciate them once the days get chilly and I'm not in the garden nearly as often, and I'd like a long season of bloom as well.

• gettindirty
    17 years ago

I have chopped down bananas and they keep coming back. The only thing that will wipe them out is cold. I'm talking pull one out of the dirt, leave it laying there and plant it a month later and it grows.

If your plant is too big you can cut it to the dirt and it will just grow more leaves.

• heatherrae
    17 years ago

That is one of the prettiest gardens I have seen! It looks like a magazine!

• gurley157fs
    17 years ago

I am glad someone kept this thread alive or I would never had the chance to see it.

What beautiful combinations of plants!

• kallen00
    17 years ago

Absolutely stunning garden !! Kudos !!

Sponsored