Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Needle palms leaves/fronds confusing

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 21:53

I have 2 palms in ground and 1 in a pot. I thought they were 2 different kinds. One of them is only an inch tall and I haven't mentioned it before because it is so short, barely above the mulch surface. Well, my point ids that the one in the pot looks like it has different skinnier fronds than the in-ground Trachy Fort. After a websearch, it shows the Needle Palm has 2 different type of Fro nds on the same plant. I am confused by this. Am I right or does someone have better knowledge of this confusion? I got some seeds from Ebay and have 2 Trachy sprouts from the seeds. I am curious how to overwinter these sprouts. I have a cold greenhouse that will provide some shelter. Any help is appreciated. The potted one will be put in the cold greenhouse wrapped in burlap. I am hoping winter 2014-2015 *I can plant it outdoors protected.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Needle palms leaves/fronds confusing

I will try to take some pictures if nobody can make sense of my post. I haven't focused much on palms before, making my trees woody trees that is the focus of my gardening attention. I will try to get some palm images taken soon.

o

I can't understand your point but, you cannot grow palm seedlings in the ground where you are. They will need to be much larger.

o

I read your other post answering my question.

o

Nothing great to post, but my seedlings from seed were doing great, until my mom's cats saw them. They were up high, but not high enough I guess.

o

I did a websearch and it is the Rhapido- ? hysterix, something or another, that is -20F hardy. Surely it is not hardy until it is several years old, though. As far as the Needle palm having 2 types of foliage, it is either the needle palm or the Sabal minor. I think I may have a couple survivors of the Rhapido-hysterix. I need time to see if it does okay.

o

Okay, I have my palms in order, so to speak. The one I have near the house is, the trunkless Dwarf Palmetto, or Needle palm. I will be getting a Windmill palm, which HAS a trunk, when I build a bed for it, near the house, where I can plug lights in, and cover it. The Needle palm is already planted near a plug. We are having a new dog fence put in. Once it is already installed I can make my bed for the Trachy or Windmill palm, outside the fence, close to the house, but away enough so it can grow away from the utility wires on the house, but be plugged in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here