Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help With Tibouchina Urvilleana!!!!

Posted by cameroncrazy z7NC (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 5, 04 at 22:30

I just got a great buy on a 5" tibouchina urvilleana. I already had 2 - 18" plants and just love them. The problem is that this one is so big that it will have to stay outside this winter. I'm planning to buy a gigantic container, fill the bottom with mulch, then the plant in it's planter, then more mulch on the sides and some on top. I have a place where it should be somewhat protected from the weather, while still getting sun. Think this will work???? (Keep your fingers crossed!!!LOL) Anyway, when do I start cutting this plant back and how far? How do I take cuttings and when should I do this? And lastly, is there a webpage that has all the details in the growing and propagation (preferably in simple English for newbies...) for plants? Thank you for any and all help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help With Tibouchina Urvilleana!!!!

A cool sunporch with temps that stay above freezing would work. Since the plant is considered reliably hardy only to zone 9, you'll need some type of protection beyond what you're already considering.

Try a google.com search under tibouchina urvilleana.

Softwood cuttings are relatively easy to root.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 23, 04 at 19:32

Tibouchina is not one of the subtropicals that will reaact well to forced dormancy in unheated, unlit conditions. As Eric mentions, it would do considerably better if placed in a cool sunporch over the winter, where it gets bright light and can be kept above freezing. It easily tolerates the occasional light frost here in northern California, and will continue blooming all winter long as long as the night time temps generally stay above 40F, and will come back from the roots if well established in the ground, at temps at least down to 24F. It will tend to burn all foliage off and lose most smaller branches at temps which will also freeze Brugmansia. Your salvation my come in the knowledge that it responds well to hard pruning, and can be cut back to the ground here and regrow rather rapidly in one season, once it warms up again and is goosed with the proper fertilizer. So if you need to cut it back to bring inside, you can safely do so, but don't try to force it into winter dormancy, it just won't work...

o

Need Help
Not easy to find information on this plant?
Would like too start from seed. Any idea on time?
Will it be easier just too find some rooted cutting?
Did some soft wood cuttings in August did not have success.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here