Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
North Texas Tropical Flowers?

Posted by dallasblooms Dallas (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 8:29

Being a flower lover and getting bonus points if it's fragrant, I'm considering buying a Sweet Olive Fudingzhu and a Maid of Orleans Jasmine Sambac from Logees. BUT living in north Texas, so not a tropical kind of place, I wonder if I'm dreaming about getting it to grow/bloom here. I have grown African Violets by putting them in self watering pots, and by putting them in clay pots placed inside a ceramic pot with no drain hole, then filling the ceramic pot with water which is absorbed by the clay pot. Will that work with tropicals as "humid"? I'm not even trying for outdoor planting, just in pots.

I posted this on the Texas Gardening Forum too but was pleasantly surprised to see this Tropicalesque forum too. Anyone in north Texas making it work for them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: North Texas Tropical Flowers?

Sweet smelling and tropical hmm... Azeales are beautiful and are pretty tropical looking

A huge one I can think of for tropical loking would be pineapple lily--zone 7+
Canna doesnt smell amazing but look great
Crape myrtle is a bush with toooonnnsss of bright colorful blooms
many roses are very fragrant-- Floribunda series

Hope this gives you an idea!

o

Sorry, I was just looking for indoor plants that smell good and found these two but have no humidity here. I already gave up on the Sweet Olive (too big and high maintenance) but a Texas gardener suggested using a bell jar or terrarium for the Maid of Orleans Jasmine, which apparently does well here. That sounds great but they sure are expensive when you need one that is big enough for this plant which gets 1 to 2 feet tall. I mean, it's just glass and metal but costs $300!?

Thanks for the other outdoor suggestions. I have tropicanna canna, 5 crepe myrtles, and about 21 roses :) and tried azealeas before that died, but pineapple lily sounds intriging. Do they smell like pineapples because I love pineapples?

o

Oh yes! wow what a rose collection.

Pineapple lilies actually dont smell very nice to me, im neutral I ment rather as a foliage plant this is what it looks like, very unique

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here