Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Euphorbia cotinifolia - wintering

Posted by dave_in_nova VA zone 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 7, 08 at 9:02

I have a large one that I dug up from my backyard this fall. I'd like to try to winter it over in my cool garage. Has anyone tried this? My garage gets to maybe 45 degrees at the coldest at night and maybe 50-60 during the day. There is some light from windows and lamps. Are they deciduous? Cause mine has no leaves at this point. Should they be kept on the dry side?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Euphorbia cotinifolia - wintering

Guess not. Man, this place is dead. LOL!

o

Hi Dave, I too just got a tree from my friend. She has several trees, one being at least 10 feet tall and she has a neighbor (who originally gave her the cutting) that is at least 15 feet tall. They lose their leave in the winter, then bloom a very small white flower in the spring and push out the new leaves. When I transplanted the one my friend gave me most of the leaves fell off but I do see new ones coming out. They do best in full sun, keep that beautiful red color but can also be grown in part shade. Here the older leaves will be silvery green and only the tips will be deep red. They can be draught tolorent once established.

o

I'm just wondering how wet or dry to keep it in my garage, since the leaves have all fallen off. I would really like to keep this plant. Hate to purchase a new tiny one next season as this one is so big.

o

I found this info on another garden web site. I thought some of this info may help you especially since one of the respondents is wintering their tree in the basement. Good luck!

On Jul 13, 2008, redinque from Pasadena, CA wrote:
Beautiful, beautiful foliage, but requires relatively good soil and moisture. I planted it into the ground in clay dirt around September of last year where it promptly lost all its leaves around November when the temperature dropped to around 40 at night. I live in Los Angeles, CA. The bare branches (at least when it's small) don't look very appealing. It took a long time for the leaves to regrow probably in April or May, and I thought it had died. Slow growing and seems to be a plant better grown in a pot if soil conditions are not that good. I may dig it up and do just that.

THIS POST PERTAINS TO WINTERING IN THE BASEMENT: Positive myrrtle77 On Apr 17, 2008, myrrtle77 from Northampton, MA wrote:
we live in massachusetts,a firm zone 4. we have had our tree
for seven years now. it has reached a height of almost 12', before a good spring pruning. we love her so much,she is the talk of the neighborhood, when she is leafed out. she gets early morning sun and shade the rest of the day and her color is still vibrant and she flowers pretty freely. they do like a fair amount of water,but, we have her pretty root bound, and she still does well. we leave her outside til the first frost is due and then she goes down into our basement for her winter nap. we water her about once a month and bring her up as soon as she starts to leaf out. i have taken cuttings for my mom, who lives in florida and she has rooted them quite easily and grows her plants in full sun in central florida. hope this helps anyone wanting this beautiful plant-we consider it well worth the effort for all its beauty!

Positive WebInt On Mar 12, 2007, WebInt from Vista, CA
(Zone 10a) wrote:
This is a fast growing Euphorbia that is also called the Caribbean Copper Plant. Can be confused with Cotinus coggygria (Smoke Tree 'Royal Purple') for those not familiar, but break a stem and get the milky sap, you will know it is a Euphorbia. The white flowers really look nice against the red foliage. In SoCal it can grow to 10 feet tall but is deciduous in all but the mildest winters. My plant lost a few smaller stems and defoliated 100% during the 28 degree freeze from Jan 2007. However; all large stems have shot out new growth since. So they can handle a 28 degree freeze and recover nicely.

Positive lakeshoredrive On Sep 30, 2006, lakeshoredrive from Chicago, IL wrote:
This euphorbia's grows quickly from cuttings, overwinters nicely in a greenhouse and the maroon-red leaves look fantasic when grown in mixed containers.

Positive BayAreaTropics On Sep 27, 2005, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:
The new growth is a satiny vibrant burgundy. Not evergreen or especially drought tolerant. It actually likes more water than most euphobias and responds with fast growth. And should be given plenty of root room if grown in a pot or it grows sparse. Hardy to at least 30 degrees. No pests-at least outdoors

o

Thanks Shirley! I hope mine makes it. If not, I'll just purchase another plant.

o

As a hardy alternative, you can plant a real Cotinus like 'Royal Purple' or one of the other dark-leafed varieties and cut it back or "stool" it every year. Although they won't bloom with this treatment they will put out rapid growth with larger-than-normal leaves. The dark-leafed varieties look pretty cool this way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here