Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fade to black

Posted by Eric_OH 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 16, 03 at 11:23

Any favorites in the category of deep purple to black foliage for bedding purposes?

This site features photos of a couple of standbys (I haven't tried the Trifolium).

I have Eranthemum nigrum* growing under lights and it looks like a possibility, depending on vigor outdoors (sluggish growth here has limited the uses of a deep chocolate-purple Pseuderanthemum, and Graptophyllum 'Chocolate') on initial trial was less than energetic).

Your recommendations?

*is E.nigrum 'Ebony' any different from the species? And why isn't the species listed in the RHS plant bible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fade to black

eric, what a cool site! my front gardens have purple and black with accents of color. it isn't funereal at all.
i have the black magic EEs --- purple heart and chinese fringe flowers.
thanks for the site link.

o

Weirdly, I just clicked on the link again and get a 404 error message (it must have been up for awhile, since you got there).

This is another link, with a photo of Eranthemum nigrum.

Like you, I've enjoyed growing Ipomoea batatas (the variety 'Ace of Spades' is also supposed to be good). And there is another, small-leaved purple-black groundcover that became available from seed in '03 whose name I forget, plus an Amaranthus in the T&M catalog that looks worth a try.

o

I just took a look at the link and it is the plant I got from "grenada" . Funny that it is listed as an Eranthemum, I always thought it was a Pseuderanthemum because its white flowers are exactly the same. The other Eranthemums do not have flowers like this plant. Could there be a mistaken identity

o

eric, here is a link to one of the seeds that i hope to order.
scroll down the page until you see it. i had no idea that goths gardened.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nemophila menziesii (penny black)

o

i would suggest Heuchera 'obsidian' and Ajuga 'black scallop'. both have good dark coloration.

o

One of my plant catalogs has a photo of a plant identical to E. nigrum, identified there as Pseuderanthemum atropurpureum. They describe it as growing to 2-3 feet with white shooting star-type flowers.

I have several cutting-grown plants which will be used either as a border accent or in pots.

o

i will bump this post back to the top of the list with another black suggestion.

try Canna 'australia', it's definitely one of the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here