Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Have You Planted That You Really Wish You Hadn't?

Posted by rainydaywoman_z8 OR (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 20:04

A few years ago I got really carried with my tropicalesque garden, figuring that for any leaf, bigger was better, and if the label said "invasive" that meant it would cover my bare spots. So now I have petasites everywhere; I can't stop them; they are taking over. Beware before ever planting a petasite! So what have you planted that you now regret?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Have You Planted That You Really Wish You Hadn't?

Been looking for some, but can't find any petasites. Where can I get some starts? I have just the spot for them.

I like almost any plant, so it's a hard question to answer. I guess the worst plant I planted would be hardy perennial Hi Biscuss. Not bad at first, beautiful when they flowered. I was gone on the road for a few years and they self seeded everywhere. Needed a pick-ax to remove the unwanted ones from the garden and grass. (To big to mow down too.) Then they started coming up from the severed roots. I did keep a few, but watch them closely and keep them under control now.

o

I would say variegated vincas would definitely be the most invasive plant I have ever planted, but I dont regret planting it because its a nice evergreen that is in a limited amount of space, so it wont take over my entire yard like it has the potential to!
They bloom in January sometimes and always bloom in the Spring! The Foliage looks its best in spring, summer, and fall, but it looks good in winters that dont get a lot of snow.
-Alex

o

I can't think of anything I ever planted that I didn't want, however, there are some planting LOCATIONS that I wished I had thought about more.
For instance, I have numerous edible plants, trees, vine fruits, etc. near my house, but I planted a Carolina Jessamine vine near the house, only later to find out it is quite poisonous. I finally dug it up and moved it further out.

I've gotten to the point that I always try to picture any perennial as how it may look 5-10 years down the road. (too close to house? Invasive? health risk? ect)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here