Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bahia_gw

More tropicalismo, Bay Area style

bahia
12 years ago

Another shot of a garden here in the Berkeley hills, which is a very favored banana belt location will very little winter winds because of the surrounding forest of live oaks and redwood trees. This allowed me to plant things like Heliconia schiedeana and retain nearly perfect unblemished foliage all year round, as well as have 8 foot tall flowering Salvia splendens 'Van Houttei' in bloom 12 months of the year. In fact, all plants shown in this photo are easily hardy to at least zone 9a locations with some occasional freeze back, so are in no danger of winter cold here.

One of the joys of creating tropicalismo gardens here is that they can look just as good in the winter as they do in summer, without all those bare spots are wrapping and tenting for winter protection. The one negative is that I've never been successful with any plants that need consistent summer heat to grow. We seldom get much above 75 to 78F all summer long, and many days may only get into the high 60'sF, with 55F temps at night. It is more akin to gardening in a high elevation cloud forest climate, so I look to use a lot of high elevation cloud forest plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: A jacuzzi set within a jungle

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio