Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More tropicalismo, Bay Area style

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 17, 11 at 1:11

Another shot of a garden here in the Berkeley hills, which is a very favored banana belt location will very little winter winds because of the surrounding forest of live oaks and redwood trees. This allowed me to plant things like Heliconia schiedeana and retain nearly perfect unblemished foliage all year round, as well as have 8 foot tall flowering Salvia splendens 'Van Houttei' in bloom 12 months of the year. In fact, all plants shown in this photo are easily hardy to at least zone 9a locations with some occasional freeze back, so are in no danger of winter cold here.

One of the joys of creating tropicalismo gardens here is that they can look just as good in the winter as they do in summer, without all those bare spots are wrapping and tenting for winter protection. The one negative is that I've never been successful with any plants that need consistent summer heat to grow. We seldom get much above 75 to 78F all summer long, and many days may only get into the high 60'sF, with 55F temps at night. It is more akin to gardening in a high elevation cloud forest climate, so I look to use a lot of high elevation cloud forest plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: A jacuzzi set within a jungle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More tropicalismo, Bay Area style

Can you grow Kentia palms there?

o
RE: More tropicalismo, Bay Area style

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 12, 12 at 16:00

Easily, but when we dip below about 29F they should get some protection, or the foliage will burn badly and they can take up to 3 years to look great again. Probably best here only in USDA zone 10a locations to be worry free, because they can be killed at 25F conditions, which we occasionally get every 20 to 30 years. That's why you only see really large/older ones in the mildest places right next to the SF Bay, San Francisco, or on the coast. If they are planted in a sheltered courtyard or under evergreen tree canopy, they are safer to use unprotected. I don't use Kentia's as much in garden designs anymore, because they are so slow to recover if they get frozen. Archontophoenix cunninghamiana or Rhopalostylis bauriei/sapida/cheeseamannii are much faster to recover and similar hardiness here locally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here