Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coleus,Acalyphas and Plectranthus hardiness in Louisia/Baton R.

Posted by carlos35 zone9a (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 24, 10 at 12:34

I'm very unfamiliar with gardening in Baton Rouge. Will coleus, acalyphas and plectranthus plants overwinter in the Baton Rouge area? will they come back from the ground the following year? can they go dormant? can you list the tropicals that have overwinter for you in Baton Rouge? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coleus,Acalyphas and Plectranthus hardiness in Louisia/Baton

I don't garden in Louisiana, but I can tell you that only the Acalypha tends to be root hardy here in coastal California if you dip below freezing. All of these are very easy to root as cuttings taken in late fall to ensure you don't lose the plant. Of the various Plectranthus species, some are definitely hardier than others. P. zuluensis and P. ecklonii and P. 'Mona Lavender' along with P. argentea tend to be the most resistant to light freezes, and will usually come back from the roots. All do better if you give them a microclimate/location that gives them some overhead cover in winter if you get regular frost. Tropicals that have corms/tubers or rhizomes tend to be the best as dieback in winter, regrow in spring plants. Look for hardier forms of Alpinia, Hedychium, Canna, Colocasia, Alocasia, Crinum, Agapanthus, etc as good candidates. Some of the more tropical looking vines such as Thunbergia grandiflora, Mandevillea cultivars, and some Passiflora species work well in hot summer climates that occasionally freeze in winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here