Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheerpeople

zone 5 eucalyptus 6-8 ft tall from seed 1st season?

cheerpeople
18 years ago

Read this too. Is this really true in zone 5?

Karen

Comments (12)

• socal23
    18 years ago

Karen,

some species can grow 15 ft. in ground in a year so 6-8' doesn't sound too unreasonable. I expect their growth would be more constrained in a pot, particularly if you don't have a heated greenhouse.

Ryan

• celebritymd
    18 years ago

im not sure about from seed, but i started with a 1 ft seedling and it is currently about 6 feet maybe 7 in one growing season, although i assume my season is a bit longer then yours?

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    18 years ago

Karen,

Yes this is true. Eucs can grow up to 10' per year given the right conditions (i.e. lots of sun and moderate water and very little fert, average garden soil).

I got 23' of growth from mine in 4 years. I got about 6-8' per year.

Give them a try. Many garden centers are carrying Euc cineria in spring in small pots for very little money.
    You can also order eucs from FOREST FARM NURSERY in Roegon for a very good price.

They are not easy from seed for a beginner.

Boca Joe

• baci
    18 years ago

I would think after the first season - the initial seedlings are like thread. As far as a method, I have started red ironbark in peat.

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I want to thank you all for your input.
    Joe- I went to the website. I have looked there and on the web for a pic of one in a pot . All I can find is a tree sized plant or a close-up of teh branch.

Can someone show me what it looks like in a pot? I have no idea of teh overall shape of this plant. I've only seen it in dried bundles at walmart. I'm guessing it wouldn't look like a tree in zone 5 in a pot- that I bring in the house each winter...
    Thx

Karen

• unautre
    18 years ago

There are over 1000 type of Eucs, with almost as many variations in growth behavior, over a fairly wide range of native habitats. Some are very fast, some slow.

If yours is a slow grower and/or not happy in your environment, it could slow, to dead. :)

Do you which type of Euc your seeds are?

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually I don't have any.
    I was checking out if it would work here after reading it was suggested in a book.
    Karen

• Eucalyptusman
    18 years ago

Karen If you want to grow them inside your best choice would be the Lemon scented gum.... very fragrant!

• greenfrog
    18 years ago

Karen, I don't think they'd grow this big in the first year from seed no matter how good the conditions are. In the 2nd year maybe. I've got some self sown eucalypts in my yard (Zone 8) right now and they are at the most 8 inches tall and we're already into Autumn here.

• ferrous
    15 years ago

I just saw this old post, wondering if you planted your eucalyptus or not.

I'm in Chicago, zone 5, so don't think there is any type of eucalyptus that would survive our cold wet winters.

But, after one winter seeing lots of eucalyptus grow in the English Garden of the Chicago Botanical Garden, I thought it was interesting. It was the blue eucalyptus that you see in your dry arrangements. I tried it the same year in the spring from seed.

It is the blue leaf eucalyptus that you see in dry arrangements. The seeds are tiny, but most have sprouted in regular potting soil. I planted those when they were 1-inch high into pots, then put them in the ground in the garden. At the end of the year, in the fall, they were maybe 2ft tall, cut them down and I believe I still have some great-smelling twigs in the house.

I think in our climate they're grown as annuals... they won't survive the winters here. If someone knows otherwise, I'd love to find out.

I hear southern Illinois grows eucalyptus... but that's 2 zones warmer.

• doooglas
    14 years ago

I grew deglupta from 12 inch seedlings to 20 feet in 18 months. Slower than Schizolobium parahybum but quick enuff. LOL

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thx
    for sharing your thoughts of this plant and its growth.

Ferrous, decided that book was full of it- will stick with castor beans.
    Karen

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner