Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheerpeople

zone 5 lion's ear 6-8 ft tall from seed 1st year?

cheerpeople
18 years ago

leonotis leonurus (lion's ear) is claimed to get this tall .

Is that true in your zone 5 garden?

Karen

Comments (9)

• rusty_blackhaw
    18 years ago

I've seen some 6+ feet here.

• lthree
    18 years ago

I know this probably doesn't count because I'm in So Cal, but mine (that is truly neglected) gets 7 ft tall. I started it from a cutting. They are bionic. The blooms shoot high up over the 6ft fence. Tip: hack that sucker back radically and it will defy you by growing bigger! Go figure.

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thank you both. I was encouraged by your results and decided to trade for the seeds and give it a whirl.
    :)
    Karen

• baci
    18 years ago

LThree, when did you start your cutting, & what was your method?

I have started this plant from seed & it took 2 years to get this tall & flower. Mine was about 5 ft; but was in a pot. It does get tall in the ground, & can be invasive in warmer zones. I think it might take longer unless the grower was really good at fertilization.

• baci
    18 years ago

I need to correct my post. It looks like it can get that tall if started indoors. I started mine later in the year.

• braspadya
    18 years ago

I grew this plant for the first time this year. It came in a quart pot from Plant Delights & was perhaps 6 inches tall in mid-April. By the end of the fall, it had grown to perhaps 2 or 2.5 ft tall. It got pinched back two or 3 times during the growing season to encourage it to get bushier. I am hoping that with heavy mulch, that it will survive this relatively mild winter.

The Plant Delight website suggests that as a die-back perennial in cold winter climates, it will probably top out around 3 to 4 foot.

I'd be interested to hear whether this plant could live through a typical zone 5 winter with lows getting down to -10 F.

Happy winter dreams,

Dan

• lthree
    17 years ago

I regret to say that I never knew you asked me the question, baci, about the cutting until now. Sorry. I took a cutting from my mom's plant that was about one foot in length and a little smaller in diameter than a pencil. I carelessly wrapped it in a moist paper towel and didn't do anything with it after my 2 hour drive home. Planted the next day after I removed all the foliage except a few wisps at the tip. Threw it in a 1 gallon pot into straight garden soil, watered well and let it sit in protected-from-wind shade - keep in mind I am in a mild So Cal coastal area. Forgot about it and a few weeks later, it was a bit dry but no signs of distress on cutting. Watered again and in another month, rolled the pot on its side until the cutting easily released and it had some strong little roots. Put it in the ground with a little knee-high fence to protect from the roaming tortoise and big ol' dog, watered it well and then after a week or so, it really started to do some sprouting and growing. It's been several years now, but the first year it filled out nicely and grew tall, but I pinched the tips of the stems so it would grow out as well as up.

This plant is a true pleasure and honestly the most reliable, hardworking thing ever. I am a floral designer and can't tell you how much this one plant produces for me. I sell the surplus to the floral industry and I am ashamed to say that I really do not pamper, fertilize or give enough care to this thing.

Over the years I have noticed that it really seemed to produce some outrageously long and full flower stalks when there was not as much water given. It fills out beautifully and quickly to be a monster plant when watered even if on the minimum range, but the years when our sparse rain was even more pathetic and I didn't water it much it seemed to really produce even more than ever. This plant gets hacked back annually, if I am diligent, to a mere 1 or 1-1/2 feet tall and it shoots back up to over 6 feet same year.

I really can't take any credit for how well it's doing, except for the reason I have many oversized results - take care of that soil and it will take care of you. I use no poisons or artificial fertilizers and use mulch and compost to amend the soil which makes for the best stuff ever. Several years ago when everywhere I wanted to plant was the typical concrete-like hard clay soil (that is the trade-off here for comfortable beach living) and went over 1 foot deep and amended like a madman/woman with compost, dried leaves, manure, freshly-collected-from-the-beach-and-rinsed-well kelp, and the kitchen sink (well just about anything else but that was organic). It has paid me back more than I would ever have believed.

• kayjones
    17 years ago

Mine was WS'ed in Jan. last year and planted into the ground in late April. It did indeed reach over 8'. I will grow more this year - they are lovely!

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I started this post so I thought I should put in some feedback.
    I spring sowed it and got 6 ft plants! Not bad for zone 5! Not highly colorful like in the adds. A little orange here and there if you stop and stare. It took the wind and conditions here well.

Thought about collecting some seeds but the pods are painfully pricky and so decided not to plant again.

Canna put more color with less prickles.

Interesting plant tho....

Karen

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH