Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheerpeople

zone 5 sugarcane get's 4-6 ft tall in a summer?

cheerpeople
18 years ago

I just finished reading the new 05 book "Hot plants for Cool Climates". I am not familiar with these plants listed in the next several posts.

I am familiar with some other tropicals listed in the book and my own experience has been different especially with PLANT SIZE than what this book claims. I thought perhaps your experience could enlighten me. Maybe there are some good plant suggestions in this book or maybe it wasn't really written with zone 5 in mind....

Sugarcane-

I read this. Is it true? The botanical name is saccharem officinarum. It says it can be stored in a pot dry and dark over the winter in cold zones.

LMK your experience with this- supposed to look like bamboo.

Thx karen

Comments (15)

• denis_5b
    18 years ago

Hello, I want to thank you for the name of this book cause I did'nt know that book and now I order it. I don't know if you are in the USA or Canada but it makes a difference between the zone, a zone 5B cdn is a 4B USA. And I beleive this book is from USA, and it does make a difference between the zone, per exemple a Bamboo «Phyllostachys nuda» in a zone 5b cdn will grow about 8 feet tall, but the more the zone is high and the more tall it will grow, and I beleive it apply for other plants as well. I don't know if I answer your question, but that was my first time writing here.

Cheers

Denis

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Denis,

Thx for the info on the bamboo.

I agree the zone makes a difference on the height so I thought I should ask what you've experienced. I have heard the cold zones are different out of the US- the book was written in the US. But many of the pics are from much warmer zones than here.

I'm glad I could help.
    I made a mistake tho, It was published in 2000 not 2005.

• denis_5b
    18 years ago

Actually, I will plant my first Musa Basjoo next spring, right now it's in the garage, among Datura, Canna and few other kind. I'll said that with that Musa, that will be my first real experience with hardy tropical. My garden right now have a lot of evergreen, like rhododendron or boxes and others. I live in Montreal, where are you from, if I may ask? And talking about book I have the book «Palms Won't Grow Here and Other Myths» and I'm ordering at the same time as the book you reffered to me, another book named: «Hardy Palms and Palm-Like Plants».

Cheers

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Denis,
    I see you are new to GW --welcome!
    I'm in the midwest- Illinois.

You can find lots of nice books by listing the subject 'gardening' at Amazon.com

I then ask my librarian to do an interlibrary loan for ones available so I have winter reading to do from all the books I can find in my half of the state!

You'll have to let me know how your Musa does.

karen

• denis_5b
    18 years ago

Yes that's exactly where I'm going to order it from (Amazon) great choice and good price, but when I first did my research, the title of your book never appeared. I also have a lot of books and magazines about plants and landscaping, but it's seems I never have enough :) They are my precious. I'm french canadian, I speak very good english, but my writing is not the greatest, so I apologize for my misswriting sometime.

Ciao

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Denis,
    Canadian, eh?!
    Here is another book that has great info and maybe the height info is more in line with what we see here in colder zones. 'Right plant, Right place" revised 2005!
    To bad I have to return it to the library soon it is chock full of info. Might be of interest to you $30.

Also there is a yahoo group for cold climate gardens. We have a chat on Monday's now. Many folks there are from canada too.

I haven't tried a musa. I don't like the ripped up leaves just intact leaves and we have so much wind. I'm growing a giant bird of paradise instead- should have it to a big size in another million years!Right now it's a beautiful houseplant.
    Karen

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    18 years ago

yes, it's true. You can get the same results.

Here are photos that I took in my friend's east central Iowa (zone 4b) garden. His plants get massive each year. Cannas, sugar cane, bananas, castor beans etc.. No prob at all!

Go for it!

Boca Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Coopman Cay Central Iowa

• denis_5b
    18 years ago

Karen, I ordered the book, and I can wait to receive it. There was two books with the same title, I think it's the same book just $35.00 differents!

And Boca Joe, this is the most beautiful garden (for the same weather as mine), I will put it in my favorite and it will most defenately inspired me, You tell your friend.

Ciao

• baci
    18 years ago

You need to be good at fertilizing  sugar cane is a heavy feeder. If you have Mexican markets in your area, they sell sugar cane around Xmas & it might be a cheap way to get a cane.
    My sugar cane was about 3 ft the first year, & it took 3 years to reach 6 ft. I have a couple of varieties that are in pots.

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Baci- When you say get one from a mexican market...I have seen them at walmart as a cut off stem in the fruit stand. Do you root those?
    I'm not sure about a mexican market- this is smalltown USA!

I will be in CA in April- if I find somethng there- should it be rooted? Which grow thick canes and the fastest that work out in pots?

thx:)
    Karen

• baci
    18 years ago

Hi Karen

I have bought pieces of cut up cane (3-4 inches) & tried to root them without success. You need a couple of nodes, so it is better to get a whole stalk. You can order them online, but they are expensive, & I would only do this for an unusual variety. The canes I have seen online were about $25.00, but this was for the black or another unusual variety. I have seen them sell for $5.00 for a 5 gallon pot at swap meets, or $2.00 for a cane in the grocers. I root my canes by cutting them with a hacksaw so they have a couple of nodes, & place them at an angle in a pot of spaghnum peat moss. I mention the grocery because this is only time of year I have seen them in markets. I saw one at the store 2 days ago, & it looked a bit puny but it would probably take.
    If you care to e-mail me about your travel location, I can look & see if I can find a source near you. There also several varieties of eucalyptus growing out here, although it is a menace as every years the trees fall over & kill people or damage property.

• sugarcane52
    17 years ago

baci,
    The best way to root sugarcane is to lay the cutting horizontal and cover the whole piece with soil about 2 inches. The roots emerge from the nodes--just like the sprouts do. The sprouts will emerge even if planted deeper. ( I grow 2 acres of sugarcane in NW FL )
    You might want to read the online pamplet "Backyard Sugarcane" for some more helpful info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Sugarcane

• beaver007
    17 years ago

Sugarcane52 Thanks for the online pamplet, I got some sugarcain from Boca Joe and tried to get em to grow without success, I do'nt know why but this is a plant I'm going to keep trying untill I get it right.
    Thanks again for the Pamplet

• baci
    17 years ago

sugarcane52, thanks for the link. I know that most growers root theirs by laying theirs down flat, & it is convention to do so. If you know of a site that would help ID sugar cane I would like to know of it.
    In zone 5, it would probably need to be container grown. The link above is gone, but the grower is probably growing indoors or planting out.

• sugarcane52
    17 years ago

baci,
    Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner, got busy, I guess. I just tried the link above and it still worked for me. As for id'ing sugarcane...good luck ! There are so many varieties that even experts rarely will try. I have over 100 varieties though and some literature that may help in id'ing varieties. If I can help, let me know. What kinds do you have ?

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms