Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
End of the season!

Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 18:41

Winter came a little early this year! In past years my garden has usually looked good until late November (sometimes well into December) but this year I had a hard freeze by mid-November that knocked down the banana and anything else tender. Early October:

Morning view

Today:

Early December

More in my blog post (link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: End of the Season

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: End of the season!

Have you ever dug up the bananas to have them fruit the 2nd or 3rd year?

o

I like the palm. Do you mulch the banana? I'm leaving my
three in this time with deep mulch ....hoping for the best.
I'm 45 min south of Lynchburg.

Margaret

o

I protect with mulch. Otherwise I don't protect or dig up anything--too much work and I'm just too lazy! Here's the same scene as of this morning:

First snow

Here is a link that might be useful: First snow! (blog post)

o

Jonnieb, how are they doing after this brutal winter? I hope they are fine. I realize some may have top die back, but hope they are well at root-level anyways.

o

• Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC 7a/b (My Page) on
    Thu, May 29, 14 at 11:25

Thanks poaky1, despite major damage many plants did indeed survive but are just now showing new growth. Only yesterday I noticed a tiny green shoot at the base of a fig I thought for sure was dead. My two hardest-hit palms are still showing no signs of growth and may indeed be dead but my "Bulgarian" windmill palm is putting out new leaves. I've summed up some of my survivors in this blog post:

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring has sprung

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here