Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grrrnthumb

HAVE: Tacca chantrieri, black bat plant

grrrnthumb
16 years ago

I have young seedlings, in pot, of the black bat plant to trade for tropicals. Please take a look at my trade list to get an idea of the sort of plants that I like to grow. I am flexible if you have something rare or interesting that is not on my list. Thanks for looking, and good growing!

- Tom H.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom's trade list

Comments (4)

• planty2000
    16 years ago

Hi there, hopefully this message makes it to you since there is no direct email available.

I am interested in your tacca seedlings and loooking for bright deep blue very large bloom morning glory seeds

I have 2 types of ginger, tropical sunset and pink brugsmansia, pink plumeria, yellow canna, banana pubs, mother of a thousand calanchoe and one voodoo lily bulb (konjac), please email me directly if interested in trading.
    Thanks much

• manure_shoes
    16 years ago

I am very interested in your Licuala grandis. I have many colors of plumeria (peach, gold, yellow, pink, red), small blood bananas. I bet you already have these plants but I wanted to give it a shot. I do not mind sending a large cutting or entire rooted Plumeria.

• queenofthebarn
    15 years ago

I've been gardening and growing houseplants for 40 years, but this is my first experience with Tacca. I'm attempting to sprout Tacca Chantrieri seed with bottom heat. Since you have seedlings, I assume you sprouted them yourself. I've read it can take from 1 to 9 months for the seed to sprout. Has that been your experience? Can you sprout plants from your own plant's seed, or should you buy new seed? Any tips you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!!

• grrrnthumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry I haven't seen this post in a while.
    Planty I can't remember if I emailed you or not, but I might be interested to know what kind of gingers you have. I also would consider a 'konjac' bulb if it was a large one.

Manure Shoes I think I emailed you to say the Licuala grandis suffered a little this winter & won't be ready until fall.

Queen of the Barn, the most important thing is fresh seed. If they're in-pod when you get them you have a much easier time. I soaked mine overnight in a diluted kelp emulsion. I did use bottom heat, but I noticed that they all sprung up after I took the bottom heat off & left them right in the window. I think perhaps that might have simulated a year-long change in seasons to whatever germination trigger they may have.
    Next time I'm going to try 8 weeks on even bottom heat, then into the east window, close to the glass, where they will get big variations in day-night temps. We'll see what happens.

The plants I have to trade now are a couple inches high with 4 or 5 leaves.
    - Tom

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x