Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Grow your own Chocolate

Posted by cactusrequiem Zone 8 SC (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 08 at 20:57

Hello all,
I sent away to the Germplasm Station down in Puerto Rico for some Cocoa seeds (Theobroma cacao) to try and grow my own Chocolate. They sent me five different varieties (unfortunately NOT labeled). They actually sent me the entire Cocoa bean pod, that is how I know they were all different. I planted some 130 beans and I think they ALL came up!
Anyway, I was thinking maybe I could work out a trade or two. If you would like to try to grow some of your own Chocolate, let me know. I would love to do some trading and I will give you a REAL good deal! I have a pretty extensive already growing list, so if I turn down a trade please don't feel offended. I will consider any and all offers though, so try me.
I am looking for unusual Tropical Fruits or Veggies. Or even usual ones that I don't already have! LOL
I might consider some really unusual flowering plants. Try me.
Thanks for looking!
Darren

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Grow your own Chocolate

Hi. I have a Cherimoya tree(ling) (about 19") I can trade for some of your seedlings as I have been wanting to try my luck at these for a while. Planted some seeds a while back and none germinated. I can send you a pic of the Cherimoya if you are interested in a trade. Thanks.
Leona

o

I have a logan seedling i can trade

o

If you're still open to trade, How does vanilla planifolia sound? The second most expensive spice to saffron. I've been looking for a nice tree to grow my vanilla on.

o

Hello Gaidaikudamono,
Sadly, I gave up on try to grow the Theobroma. I have tried twice now and I just can't seem to get it through a Winter. My greenhouse doesn't stay warm enough and inside I could not keep the humidity up high enough.
Sorry.
Darren

o

I saw Gaidaikudamono has vanilla to trade for chocolate. I ordered some chocolate pods online I am willing to trade some of the seeds for vanilla cuttings. The seeds have to be kept moist (that is why they ship the pod) I could send some to you in a baggie with a moist paper towel. I live in Central Florida. I ordered the chocolate about a week ago so it should be here soon let me know. tiffschorn@gmail.com

o

I know this is late, but do you still have seeds to trade? Here is the list of seeds that I have:

Red zinnias
Striped zinnias
Hollyhock
Snapdragon
Green apple
Red apple
Green pear
Blackberry
Some cherry pits

o

I would really like some if you still have any.
seeds, seedlings, cuttings,whatever.

I have
Moringa Olifera seeds
several hot and bell pepper seeds

trees i can take cuttings from...
Satsuma cutting
Guava Cutting
Mulberry cutting
dwarf POM
Aloe Vera
Jujube

o

Hey Greenman62,
Sadly, I gave up on trying to grow the Theobroma. I have tried twice now and I just can't seem to get it through a Winter. My greenhouse doesn't stay warm enough and inside I could not keep the humidity up high enough.
Sorry.
Darren

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here