Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: viable Hel. rostrata division for choice of banana pups

Posted by bcfromfl z8a NW FL (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 07 at 22:34

Hi --

I'd like to try a Heliconia rostrata, but I'm not skilled enough to do rhizomes. Tried once before and failed. I have many banana pups popping up from mats, and would like to trade one for a rooted division with significant growth.

I haven't separated any pups yet (on my to-do list) to get them rooted, but if you are interested in a trade, will get it done so it will be ready in three or four weeks. Or, if it doesn't matter to you, will slice one off and get it in the mail.

I have Super Dwarf Cavendish (grows and pups like a weed, but not very cold-hardy), genuine California Gold purchased from Jeff E., dwarf namwah, dwarf Brazilian, and ice cream. The last four survived several freezes last winter (one brutal freeze was twelve hours below 32F, hitting a low of 20F) with trunks intact, and are fruiting right now off of last-year's growth. Ice creams are at 15+ feet.

I know there are some varietal differences in H. rostrata -- if you have bloom pics that would be great. I plan to grow it in a planter that I can bring in the garage when it gets cold. I've heard they'll still bloom this way, and won't get quite as large with their roots restricted.

Bruce C.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: viable Hel. rostrata division for choice of banana p

Hi Bruce. I have rostrata that looks like this http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Heliconiaceae/Heliconia_rostrata.html
It gets about 4 1/2' tall. Do you have anything other than bananas to trade? I was actualy looking here to see if anyone wanted to trade for any of mine before I bartered with a local nursery.

o

• Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 19:23

I am not particularly interested in those bananas either, but if you have other things to trade, I have containerized bloom sized Heliconia rostrata in 10-15 gal containers that could be picked up for in person trade

o

Hi lady -- I sent you an e-mail on Sunday the 15th.

Thanks bihai -- I seem to recall that you live near Orlando? (Or thereabouts...) Wish I live closer.

Bruce

o

• Posted by lady 10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 20, 07 at 16:56

Bruce I didn't get the email. Please try again

Brocious 57 at juno dot com

o

Sent message again last night.

o

No I don't live in Orlando I live in Gainesville

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here