Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randy_e_gw

Variegated Mexican Fan Palm

randy_e
19 years ago

Here's a photo of our Washingtonia Palm we found. All fronds have variegation from less to more as they emerge.
Randy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1303753}}

Comments (5)

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    19 years ago

This is VERY neat. I love palms and I even grow a few outside. No variegated ones yet. I looked around your website. Great stuff! Is this palm one of your original discoveries?

I started a thread on the suggestions forum about a gallery for original sports and mutant seedlings, etc. Big interest in variegates, of course. I would love your support, but encourage you to post your thoughts there one way or the other.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread in Suggestions and Comments forum

• LisaCLV
    19 years ago

Randy-

Cool palm. Did it show variegation from young seedling stage, and do you have any idea what triggered it? We had some Foxtail Palms (Wodyettia bifurcata) come out variegated, about a dozen or so in a population of maybe a couple thousand seedlings. I'd never seen that happen before, and wondered if maybe tumbling them in the cement-mixer to clean them might have triggered the mutation. Oddly enough, those were the first ones to germinate, but a lot of them died. Of the ones that are still alive, the ones with moderate striations (as opposed to big patches of solid yellow) seem to be the strongest. The strongly variegated areas seem really prone to damage and browning. They're in 1-2 gallons now, and I was hoping to put them in the ground and have a nice little variegated grove by the house, but I don't know if they'll survive, it's kind of windy. Hope yours hangs in there.

-Lisa

• randy_e
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I found it in a Home Depot with a bunch of normal ones. All the fronds are variegated with the variegation increasing as the fronds emerge. I keep it in bright light because it seems to want to burn a little.
    Hoe Hoe Hoe... I like the idea of a gallery of sports. I'll post some and see what Spike says. The closest thing to a variegated plant forum is the Foliage Forum.
    Randy

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    19 years ago

Oh, that's so cool that you found it at the Home Depot. The Big Box stores are good for something!
    Lisa, that is a very interesting story. I assume this is the first time you've cleaned a batch in a tumbler like this. Have you done it with any other type palm? So, how long did you tumble and what cleaning agents did you use? You might be on to a very important discovery! hehe

• LisaCLV
    19 years ago

Yeah, we don't normally have sufficient quantities of that kind of relatively large seeds to justify using the cement mixer to clean them, so I think that was probably the only time we did that. My husband soaked them in buckets for several days, and then threw them in there with some water and rocks and let them tumble until the outer coating wore off, (I'm not sure how many minutes that was) and then added a mild bleach solution at the end. Maybe I should get something smaller, like a jeweler's tumbler type of thing and try it on the heliconia, ginger or Ti seeds, see what happens!