Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pasca1228

Eucalyptus Growing Well in Central Virginia

pasca1228
13 years ago

I have always loved growing Eucalyptus Cinerea from seed as a houseplant. Unfortunately, they don't do well indoors. Two years ago, when we moved to a new house ten miles south of Richmond, I grew a batch from seed and, a year later, planted six of them on the edge of our property line. They grew quite well during that first spring and summer and, by the end of the summer, had grown five to six feet. I didn't expect them to survive the winter. All but the smallest did. Our temperatures dropped into the twenties and teens for weeks and then to ten degrees for two weeks in February, which I figured would kill them. I did not cover them or protect them in any way. They did sustain some damage (lost leaves and dead branches). All are thriving this spring. (See photo) I've grown another crop from seed, planted them, and am growing next year's plantings. When planting, I used peat moss (supposedly wrong!) and perlite; and I root feed them regularly during the growing season. The trunks on three have reached two to three inches. They provide a pleasant tropical change to the rather commonplace Virginia greenery. If you want to grow them, try it. Don't believe everything you read.

Image link: