Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmobile50

Question on placing a dieffenbachia outside in the summer

bmobile50
10 years ago

The picture I've uploaded is about a year old. The plant is now about 4 ft tall. I've got a dieffenbachia that has gotten too big to keep inside.
This past summer, I placed it on our uncovered back patio, right up against the back of the house. Due to the eave of the roof, it was never in direct sunlight, and did quite well. This past summer was mild for this area, and it was a very wet. the temperature only got to the mid 90's for about a total of 3 weeks.
The thing is, normally it can get quite hot here. The 2 summers before this past one were brutal. There were quite a number of days where the temp was 100+.
My question is, would the plant do ok in temperatures that high, if it was kept in the shade? Due to the eave of the roof, the first 2 feet of the patio next to the house is always shaded, so if I placed it on the patio where I did this past summer, it would be in the shade all day. Right now, it's inside next to the sliding glass door, but I would like to put it back outside once all the cold weather is over.

Thanks
Jim

Comments (4)