Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eggo_gw

Stop wasting your time with durians...

Eggo
18 years ago

Or not. Maybe its not so impossible? If any of you been giving it a shot at growing this interesting fruit. Notes on it so far: it growed slowly throughout winter with temps frequently in the low 40s(and a high 38 once or twice) at night and mid 60s to 70s in the day. Tips are often brown though. This is supposed to be an ultra tropical but it seems to handle cooler weather much better than many of my greenhouse plants. I just can't believe its growing at all. Mangosteens, sweetsops, guanabanas, ilamas, lansium, on the other hand has completely stopped. It seems like as long as its getting some good day temps & humidity it has no problems. It likes much more sunlight than mangosteens though. Last year in a shaded tiny greenhouse the durians did horrible, while the mangosteens flourished. Odd thing is that sometimes they just end up dying for no reason.

Comments (8)

• patusho25
    18 years ago

Wait, I`m yellow, green, purple of envy!! =D

Eggo, Woaw, you have so many durian plants! It`s a shame I am not going to LA this time, I`ve would love to have at least 1 of yours! Mine one is still alive but it`s about 5" tall, looks like a bonsai, after a bug decapitated it. Will take a picture later. =(

Hope they grow more and perhaps one day you can plant them outside and thrive. Best wishes.

• siafu
    18 years ago

Eggo,

Do you mean that these durians have been growing OUTSIDE?
    And that they are actually growing with the highs in the 60F-70F range? They seem very cold hardy! Much, much more than it is often credited to this species.

• daai_tou_laam
    18 years ago

How much wind have yours been subject to, Eggo?

My durians don't look nearly as nice. Though it's been cooler and much drier than normal here.

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Let me know when you visit L.A., Leonel.
    Siafu & Tom, no the durians are growing in a unheated greenhouse. Its much different than outside. Its protected from any winds and has much more humidity. At night the temperatures are colder than outside but in the day I get about a difference of at least +10 degrees depending on how cloudy the sky is. And its been very rainy and cloudy in the last month. But for instance in the last week, temps in the greenhouse has hit 90s & 100s a couple of times already. Last month, only once. Most of the plants(including atemoya, sweetsops, ilamas, Spondias, pineapples, mangosteens, lansiums, jambus, etc.) in the greenhouse has completely stop growing except for durians and maprang. I thought it was weird.

• siafu
    18 years ago

Eggo,

Ok.Thank you for clearing it up. That part about the shaded
    greenhouse and mangosteen growth had me confused.

Nevertheless, your experiment is quite interesting. It is
    a nice surprise to know that durian seems to need high daily temps rather than require overall warmth for growth, as is that case of most Garcinias and Rambutan, for instance.
    not

• daai_tou_laam
    18 years ago

eggo,

Thanks for the clarification. So these aren't in direct sun yet and are protected from the wind.

For my durians, which are coming up towards one year, the question was whether they would survive the winter here outside. Unfortunately my growing area is exposed to the full force of the winter monsoon winds and the record setting low humidity this winter.

• maspirasjr
    18 years ago

OK, now I'm truly imppressed. Eggo, way to go! How old are those durians? They look pretty healthy. Would you know if these are the Chanee, Monthong or Kradumtong variety?

Marcelo

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well Tom, I"m cheating. =)
    Marcelo, the durians are about 1 1/2 to 2 yrs old now. The ones in the picture are the Monthong seedlings. I got a few others from a brand of durian under the name of "Boonyong." So far I have not been able to really get a clear idea of what variety this one is. Has anyone ever heard of this brand? The durians were smaller, had larger seeds every segment had a full seed(unlike monthong), much thinner flesh. But the tastes was amazing, not as sweet, hints of almonds, incredibly smooth, and slight bitterness.