Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plaidma1

My tahitian gardenia (tiare) grows SO SLOWLY

plaidma1
14 years ago

I am not a green thumb guy.

My wife and I honeymooned in Tahiti, and fell in love with the whole place. Since my skills at pearl diving are not what they once were, its not practical for us to relocate there, so I thought it would be great to try to grow a little slice of Tahiti in a pot in good old Indiana.

I've had Tahitian gardenias growing for almost a year and a half now. Four of them have lasted this long. They appear healthy, but they are only about four inches tall. A new leaf pair will sllloooowwwwlllly form, peek out, seperate, and another set will die. It seems to be replacing itself, but not growing.

A friend and I have been keeping these at work so we can take turns focusing on them. He sits near the window, so we keep them in the window. We water 2-3 times a week, keeping the soil moist, and have applied fertilizer several times.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to make these guys grow (and produce a flower; not one flower yet) would be much appreciated.

Is it too much light? Not enough light?

Is it too warm over there? Is it too cold?

They are near the window, but the window is tinted, limiting the sunlight.

The heat/cold register is there, but its about four feet below the window sill, and the window sill is very wide...

Should we get a heat lamp? Apply more direct light? If so, what kind of light? The office is lit with flourescents, but like I said, we've had it in the window to try to get as much sunlight as possible. The window faces south, with a slight slant toward the east.