Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Anthurium regale

bihai
17 years ago

I received these A. regale from a very good friend in the summer. They were stem cuttings the size of sausages. Now they have rooted in really well and are producing leaves that are about 10-12 inches in length and 6-8 inches at their widest point. I think that they are just fabulous and will be really cool when they get really big.

I bought a plant from the "Dr. Darian" group of seedlings from Tropiflora as well. I followed their advice of keeping it in damp sphagnum moss as a planting medium, and it did "okay" but was extremely slow. I made the decision to take it out of moss about a month ago and planted it into the ground, and it also has taken off, rooted in well and putting out new leaves now.

These are REALLY COOL plants, if you get a chance to obtain one and can give it the conditions it needs with a long range eye to the eventual huge size it may get to, BUY ONE.

{{gwi:1304131}}

Comments (13)

• barbcoleus
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday Regina!!
    and thanks for the information about Tropiflora. The best part is I didn't know such a wonderful place was so close to where I live. I'm in paradise.

Barb

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

REALLY nice plants ya got there! :-)

Looks like they've adapted and are growing well for you. You do know they will eventually eat your GH don't you? LOL!

Are those all new leaves?

C3D

The A. corrugatum was a DNR wasn't it? ~~SIGH~~ :-(

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, YOU should know that they are REALLY NICE PLANTS since...well, you know....
    Yep, they are all new leaves! Its very exciting.
    The A. corrugatum was a DNR. I think it tried, but that species is cooler growing and it didn't tolerate the heat, I think.

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

hello
    I'd always thought regale was cool growing. How does it do through summer and what is the flower llike?? gary

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Haven't had a flower yet, but these went through summer just fine, they rooted well and grew non-stop. SUmmer temps in my greenhouse are rarely below 85.

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    Sounds encouraging!! Have only tried Andreanum of the whole family. gary

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

WOw Gary, you live in South FL and can find anything at all just laying around and all you have are andreanums??? (LOL LOL I didn't mean it) By all means try some others! They are great plants and a lot of fun

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    Well, have been more into water plants and then orchids..
    When i was working went to work before dawn and came home after dark. Not good for gardening lol
    Now that i have my shadehouse up to par I'm thinking some of those offbeat epiphytes that are not orchids or Broms lol.
    I find the toughest part of gardening is deciding which ones I won't grow lol.
    gary

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm thinking about more of those offbeat aroids too. Do you know a good source for shinglers and that sort of stuff???

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

hello
    I found a site called "Cloud jungle" that deals in small cuttings of many different kinds of tropical plants,mostly for terrariums. I find the site very useful for the lists of plants that I've never heard of lol. Most of what is listed he doesn't have but gives you genus names to keep an eye out for.lol Have never bought anything from him but hear good things about it.
    Check it out and see what you think. I never realized there are soooo many epiphytic families !!! gary

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is a photo of the Anthurium regale I got from Tropiflora. This plant was a "seedling" grown from seed, not a stem cutting from a mature plant. It has taken a long time to get going even though it came already rooted ald everything. It was in moss until recently, I planted it in the ground and that made it take off! It has put out 2 new leaves. They are really small though, the leaf in this photo is about 3 inches long.
    {{gwi:1304133}}

• Steve_ExoticRainforest_com
    17 years ago

Probably not a terribly important observation but with the help of Dr. Croat of the Missouri Botanical Garden and Julius Boos we have been able to document that Anthurium regale produces pollen in reverse of the way most anthurium species produce their pollen and stamens. This one starts from the top of the spadix and works down. The vast majority start at the bottom and work up. We've been able to document the entire process over the past 60 plus days in case you'd like to see it unfold.

There was at one time some discussion on several boards regarding growing A. regale in water. Also with the help of Dr. Croat and Julius we believe that growth method is now better understood. We've been able to document fairly well the growth of A. regale is influenced favorably by cooler temps (not cold) and very high humidity. Dr. Croat has explained fairly well how Dr. Darian is successful in growing A. regale in a water "bath". The water sitting beneath the anthurium increases the humidity available to the plant. The plant does not benefit, and may be harmed, by sitting in water as an adult. In our case we are able to maintain a very high humidity environment with humidity never dropping below 85% and normally approaching 100%. We have learned the species certainly does not appreciate having the roots dry at all. We failed to water for only 4 days and the largest leaf was damaged as a result. There is now 6 pages of documentation and photographs to date.

In addition to the developing spadix with pollen we now have an additional leaf being documented. The last one reached 29 inches so we are anxious to see just how large this one will grow. Dr. Darian has succesfully had a plant produce a leaf approaching 4 feet!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Exotic Rainforest

• exoticrainforest
    17 years ago

Could not figure out why but the link I gave above does not appear to work. If you have difficulty just find www.ExoticRainforest.com on the net and then scroll down the homepage just a short bit. You'll find two links to the Anthurium regale pages. There are now 6 and counting. The first link takes you to the main page of observtions and the second takes you to the growth of the spathe and spadix. We have no been tracking the spadix for 61 days and have been able to photograph the production of stamens and pollen. And by the way, The Exotic Rainforest isn't a business. I just do this for fun. It's a plant collection

Here is a link that might be useful: The Exotic Rainforest