Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stoshny

Dwarf Mango Tree

stoshny
18 years ago

Hi,

I love Mangos and was wondering about the viability of growing a grafted dwarf variety (i.e. ice cream or Julie) as a potted plant. I'm in upstate NY (6B) so obviously the tree would be indoors half the year. My question is could I get fruit from a tree in these conditions? I have a south facing window for it however anyone familiar with the climate in upstate NY would know that sunshine is a relatively rare commodity during the winter time. Also, I will be in Sun City Fl in a couple of weeks. Are these plants readily available at most retail nurseries in Fl?

Not sure if this is the forum for this so I also posted this in tropicalesque

Thanks

Dave

Comments (27)

• buretachi
    18 years ago

hi,

it is possible--look for the dwarf varieties: Cogshall, Carrie, or Nam Doc Mai. go lightly on water in the winter, and don't overfertilize. may require supplemental light.
    these varieties should be fairly common in south Florida.

Scott

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

Hi Dave,

I have dwarf or "condo" mangos in containers, and have found them easy to grow - outdoors. I don't know how difficult it would be in your zone, indoors part of the year. Mango trees like heat and full sun. Can you set up a grow-light for your prospective tree?

I would ask the experts at Fairchild Gardens, or the excellent source, Pine Island Nursery, for advice on growing in a cold climate. It will make a difference as to when the tree flowers/fruits (early, mid-season, or late) as far as increasing your chance of getting fruit.

Reading the "Curators Choice" info on the Fairchild page is interesting and may help you.

Here is the Pine Island website address:

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango-viewer/index.htm

Good luck!

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango info from Fairchild

• stoshny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you. I will contact Fairchild

dave

• ohiojay
    18 years ago

Dave: Yes!! I am living proof that you can fruit your tropicals in containers in our zones. I'm zone 5-6 in Ohio and my Nam Doc Mai mango fruited last year. I'm confident that my longan and lychee may do the same this year. My best advice to you until you can put up a greenhouse would be to keep your plants in a separate room with a nice south-facing window. I would definitely put up a 1000W metail halide grow light system for them as well. It has worked out wonderfully for me so far. I get constant growth flushes all winter long. I plan on getting another variety of mango and lychee this year... not sure which yet. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. J

• stoshny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thx all...very cool. I'll give it a try. I contacted Pine island and they recommended Cogshall or Carrie so maybe I'll start with one of those or the Nam Doc Mai w/ the supplimental light.

dave

• oh_nate
    16 years ago

I too live in Ohio and would love to grow a mango tree. Is there any way I could get a grafted mango tree from a nursury? Or would I have to grow it from seed? All help would be greatly appreciated.

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

I was just at a presentation by the Palm Beach Rare Fruit Council and they said most of them (whom I consider near-expert growers in a near-perfect environment) have problems getting Julie to fruit. They recommended Cogshall and Carrie too. I'm thinking about getting Cogshall too. Good luck with yours!

• john_dr
    16 years ago

I would like to know what the dwarf mango trees is. In Queensland we pride ourself's that every backyard has a mango tree but they grow into huge trees but produce very little fruit. Can you help?

Regards

• oh_nate
    16 years ago

I'm really new to this whole thing, and I'm just trying to come up with things I'm going to need to care for this mango plant/tree if I can get one. I'm wanting to get a Nam Doc Mai and keep it inside and eventually be able to get some fruit off of it, but I would like to know what I'm going to need. I'm figuring on a good supplemental light source, I'm thinking of going LED, but not sure if that's a good idea since there will not be sufficient heat for the plant?

Any and all help on this matter will be greatly appreciated and used.

• oh_nate
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I will definitely do that. Is the Nam Doc Mai easy to maintain as a "houseplant" without letting it get too enormous? Will I still be able to get fruit off of it? Again thanks for all of your help

I'm into natural health bigtime and I got thinking about growing some of my own fruits, instead of depending on the supermarkets. I eventually want a noni tree, and a goji berry bush. but I wanted to start with this mango tree first and see how I can do. Thanks for the greenhouse offer, I will let you know when I do go down to Columbus, I'm more Northwest, by Toledo.

• ohiojay
    16 years ago

Most trees can be successfully maintained a a given height and size to some extent. There are some that have the potential to outgrow even severe pruning but I doubt either of us will encounter that. If you are going to be going in and out of the house with the tree, you will have to consider doorway sizes. The tree will definitely benefit from being outside when it can. Think of your future needs. You should be able to get fruit. There will be some learning curves and even some failures along the way. Climate zone envy container growing is a challenge.

• franktank232
    16 years ago

Do they grow true from seed? Can you prune to a small to keep small? What gallon container would be minimum for fruit production?

• crazics_gmail_com
    15 years ago

Does anybody know if Nam Doc Mai can be purchased in Canada? Or shipped to Canada?

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Try them, I'm not sure if they will ship to Canada, but its worth emailing them and asking...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine Island Nursery (FLorida)

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Hi,

Just wanted to post an update on my Potted Glenn mango tree...Last year I had a couple of blooms, got two tiny mangos out if it, but they didn't survive(fell off). This year the tree is loaded with blooms, and I'm really hoping at least one or two survive and make it to maturity. I just want to taste one, LOL...Wish me luck!

{{gwi:983919}}
    Close up of some of the blooms...

• amandapanda920
    15 years ago

That is absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!! Good luck on the fruit this year!

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Thanks Amanda :o) Appreciate it!

• alphapenguin
    14 years ago

puglvr1, that is amazing. I just purchased a Cogshall, and hope it will survive. As of now things are looking grim. Only 4 days since I received a 3 gallon (3') cogshall from pine island, and leaves (8) are falling...

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    14 years ago

See,that's another part of the equation.Mangos are attractive potted plants-nice to look at,and have very colofull blooms.You could get dozens one season, from one in a container the size of a half barrel.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Alpha, Thanks! Hopefully your mango tree is just going through some shipping shock/stress? Maybe trying to adjust to its new conditions and climate. Just some suggestions, keep an eye on your soil, Mangoes don't like wet/soggy soil...they like soil that's free draining. When you water, water it well, and let soil almost completely dry out before watering well again. They need full sun, but since you've only had it for a few days, its best to "slowly" acclimate it to full sun especially since its been in a shipping box for a few days. Good luck! I love the Cogshall variety, I have two planted in ground. They're young trees and haven't fruited yet, flowered but the blooms "froze" last winter :o(

Here's an update on that tree above, I have several fruits right now...Wish me luck they mature! Its my first fruits!

{{gwi:1304149}}

• boom1
    14 years ago

i would recommend Rosigold. julie and rosigold are the smallest trees. rosigold will have a perfectly symmetrical upright canopy at 8ft. julie grows like a bush filling out nicely about 8 feet as well. both would be perfectly full grown in a 25 gallon container with a little pruning.

julie is shy, but is an extraordinary mango and worth it IMO.

Rosigold are very precocious, they give fruit a month earlier than almost every other variety. i think this may be beneficial to you as the fruit take less time from bloom to ripe.

Nam Doc Mai is not a condo mango, it is a medium tree. i would grow it in at least a 45 gallon container and even then the trunk will become wider than the condo mangos and will be more top heavy.

one reason Pine Island will not recommend Julie is because they stopped growing and propagating it after their trees died back of fungal problems. i personally know a dozen people growing Julie in south florida and while they do require minimal folier copper spraying to prevent anthracnose (black fungus), all of them enjoy their trees very much and prize the mangos they give. SPYKEs grove by me sells more Julies then any other variety

fungus should not be a problem where you are.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Alphapenguin, any updates on how your mango tree is doing? I hope it is improving and it was just the shipping shock that its going through? Good luck...keep us posted.

• Canadian_Mango
    12 years ago

Hello all,
    I am new to all this. I have started germinating seeds from all sorts of fruits, Pineapple, coconut, avocado, lytchie and now mango. I am very fond of mangoes so I decided to concentrate on mangoes and lytchies. I decided to grow a Cogshall since it seems to be the most suitable variety for indoors growth (I live in Canada, very cold here in the winter). I have been looking all over the internet to purchase some cogshall seeds but found no place that sell. I am starting to feel discouraged. I am even considering going on vacation in Florida to bring back some Cogshall seeds myself.

Would anyone have any idea how I can get some Cogshall seeds anywhere? If you have a Cogshall at home that is fruiting I would be more than interested in purchasing it from you.

Thanks everyone.

• lkailburn
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, from everything I have heard, most mangoe varieties do not grow true from seed. Those that do are polyembreonic, meaning you will actually sprout 2 or more plants from a single seed. But usually these are overseas varieties.

-Luke

• veggie_girl
    11 years ago

Would I be able to grow non-dwarf varities in zone 5 and get them to fruit if I could set up a grow light over winter? I am interested in lemon meringue and coconut cream.

• stefpix
    11 years ago

I can easily find poliembryonic mangos in NYC. Ataulfo aka champagne mangos, imported from Mexico. The seeds sprout easily. I have a 2 year old mango sapling that is finally getting a woody trunk. they grow in spurts. at times they do nothing then all of a sudden new leaves. I lost the tag of the one that is older. I can not remember if it is a mono or a poli embryonic. There is a Mango tree at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden in the conservatory. It blooms and makes small fruits but i never noticed them ripened. I saw photos of "bonsaied" mangos in pots in the tropics.
    stefano